The men’s crew team started its spring season off on a great note, finishing fourth out of twelve boats in the Mayor’s Cup Regatta. The event was held on March 15 in Tampa, FL and was part of the team’s week long training stint in the Sunshine State.

“Racing in Tampa was a really great experience for our team, not only in terms of results, but also in the effort that was involved in hitting the ground running [for the spring],” said Gael Hagan ’09. “The Mayor’s Cup gave us an excellent opportunity to find the faults and the strong points in our rowing and we will undoubtedly work hard to build on that performance as we face our perennial New England competitors.”

The crew team had a very successful fall season, highlighted by a second place finish at the Head of the Fish Regatta in Saratoga, NY last October. With this success, however, has come even more determination to be better in the spring campaign. The grueling off-season was capped by the trip to the Hontoon Landing in Deland, FL over spring break, where the team focused on getting better for its New England schedule.

“It has been very encouraging to see that the effort and tenacity carry into our spring work,” Hagan said.

Working hard and matching the success from last year has been a focal point for the squad heading into its upcoming events. Being able to compete on the water in Florida as one of only two Division III teams seems to have also given the team a boost.

“Having the opportunity to get on the water so early in the year is incredibly helpful” said captain Tom Volgenau ’08. “After spending all winter on the rowing machines, a lot of kinks need to be worked on the water before the season.”

The team is very optimistic for the upcoming season, thanks in large part to many strong returnees. These include team captains Volgenau and Jeremy Brown ’08, as well as the rest of the first boat: Hagan, George Bennum ’09, Doug Cody ’09, Parker Cook ’10, Ross Heinemann ’09, Charles Weiss ’09 and Brian Studwell ’09.

“We have many rowers returning from last year’s successful first and second boats,” Volgenau said. “Significant improvements have been made among rowers in the lower boats, and our program is even further bolstered by a very talented freshman class. It should be a very exciting season.”

With all of the pieces coming together, the crew team seems poised for a big spring. After scrimmaging UMass last weekend, the season is set to officially open this weekend in Worchester, MA, where the team will take on the Holy Cross Crusaders and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.