The women’s ice hockey team achieved its first NESCAC victory this past weekend as the Cards upended Connecticut College with a final score of 4-2. After starting conference play 0-8, including a loss to the Camels three weeks ago, the Cards were finally able to defeat a NESCAC opponent and earned their third victory in four contests overall.

The Friday night game in New London was a solid team effort. Goaltender Rachel Stemerman ’09 kept the Cards in it early, making 29 saves through the first two periods. Stemerman held that shutout until midway through the third, giving her team plenty of time to gain a lead.

After a scoreless first period, Wesleyan finally got on the board as Heather Lindgren ’11 got her first of two goals of the evening just three minutes into the second period. Seven minutes later, Julia Cohen ’09 got her first goal of the year to make the lead 2-0 in favor of the Cards after two periods.

Entering the third up 2-0, Wesleyan was able to handle increased pressure from the Camels at the beginning of the period. The Cards extended their lead to 3-0, as Lindgren tallied the eventual game-winner, her second of the game and fourth of the season.

The Camels did not go quietly, however. They cut the lead to 3-1 with about 10 minutes to play, putting on the pressure in the game’s final minutes. With their goalie pulled for an extra skater, they cut the lead to one with about 30 seconds remaining. This is as close as Conn. would come, however, as Sena Ito ’11 put one home on the empty net with one second to play to solidify the Cards’ 4-2 win.

Getting their first NESCAC win was not easy, as the Cards were out-shot by an astounding 49-17 margin. They also took seven penalties, a stat that rarely leads to victories. However, the defense played solidly, led by Stemerman who had an extraordinary 45 saves on the night.

Looking to build on the momentum from Friday’s win, the Cards traveled to Amherst for a game Saturday night. Having already lost to the Lord Jeffs 6-0 earlier in the year, a different outcome was certainly in Wesleyan’s plans. However, it was more of the same for the Jeffs, as they beat the Cards handily by a 7-0 count.

Wesleyan was never really in the contest against their Little Three rival. The Jeffs took a 2-0 lead after one, and exploded for four goals in the second period to put the game out of reach. For a second straight game, the Cards were badly out-shot, this time by a 48-13 margin. Special teams were a problem as well, as the Cards allowed three power-play goals and one when they had a one-skater advantage.

As Adrienne Shea ’08 mentioned last week, the lack of consistent play has really hurt the Cards, and this past weekend was no exception. After getting a great road win, they were unable to build on the momentum Saturday. Still, the first NESCAC win was a good feeling for the team.

This upcoming weekend, the Cards will again play two NESCAC games, this time at home in the friendlier confines of Spurrier-Snyder rink. The first of these contests is against Colby, Friday night at 7 p.m., followed by an afternoon tilt on Saturday against the Polar Bears of Bowdoin College.