The women’s swimming and diving team has started the 2007-08 season strong, going 1-1 in dual competition and 5-1 overall, placing first in the Cardinal Invitational Meet this past weekend.

“I’m really proud of the team so far,” said Lauren Cruz ’09, who is currently studying abroad in Spain and will return after winter break. “Judging by our early success, I think we can really make a statement this year in the NESCAC.”

On Saturday, Nov. 17, the team opened its season with a match against NESCAC foe Bates College in Middletown. Turning in the best times in all of the day’s 14 events, the Cards annihilated the Bobcats 150-129. Bolstering the overall team success were several standout performances from a mixed group of veterans and rookies.

Amelia Lupinetti ’11 made an immediate impact in her first meet, with first-place finishes in the 200 meter freestyle, 200 meter backstroke and 200 meter individual medley (IM). Such versatility from a newcomer is rare, and Lupinetti will surely be relied upon to provide strong efforts across the board as the season continues.

Janine Zaltsman ’11, another newcomer, placed first in the 50 and 100 meter freestyle and also appears to be one of the team’s top rookies.

Stalwart captains Amanda Shapiro ’08 and Kate Krems ’08 took two events each. Shapiro dominated the 100 and 200 meter breaststroke, while Krems owned the 50 and 100 fly.

Cate Haring ’10 also had two impressive wins in the 500 and 1000 meter freestyle.

Two days later, the team traveled to Massachusetts to meet another NESCAC rival in Amherst College. The Lord Jeffs at 143-95, and the team fell to 1-1 in NESCAC and dual meets.

Though a loss was not the result hoped for, four of Wesleyan’s individual swimmers did capture events on the day. Shapiro took the 100 meter breaststroke, Krems won the 100 meter butterfly, Zaltsman won the 50 meter freestyle and all three combined with Cara Madden ’11 to win the 200 meter medley relay.

Shaking off the Amherst loss, the team hosted the annual Cardinal Invitational, a two-day meet that took place this past Saturday and Sunday. In addition to Wesleyan, Clark University, Albright University, WPI, and Cabrini College all competed in the weekend meet.

The Cards ruled the event. When the competition finally ended long after dark Sunday evening, they had gained1315 points, nearly 400 more than Clark who came in second with 917.5.

Individually, many Cards had multiple first-place finishes. Accounting for 133 of Wesleyan’s points total, Shapiro came in first in the 50 meter breaststroke, 100 meter IM and 500 meter freestyle. Lupinetti won the 200 and 400 meter backstroke. Zaltsman nearly swept the freestyle events, winning the 50, 100 and 200 meter.

A strong win in a large meet bodes well for the Cards. As standout swimmers emerge from the underclassmen ranks and combine with the proven talents of the team’s veterans, the team should be confident heading into the thick of its winter schedule.

The team’s last meet of the first semester will take place at Trinity College on Dec. 8.