It has been a disappointing start to the season for the women’s ice hockey team. The Cardinals have lost four straight conference games opening the season, but the team remains optimistic.

Last Sunday, Nov. 25, the offense was able to find a rhythm in a match against Williams College. After falling behind 2-0, the Cardinals bounced back, as Hannah Jackson ’09, the team’s returning scorer from a year ago, finally got the Cards on the board.

The Cardinals again fell behind by two as Williams was able to net another goal in the second period. However, showing some resilience, the Cards pulled back within one on newcomer Sena Ito’s ’11 first collegiate goal.

Entering the third period with the score at 3-2, Williams was able to bring the lead back up to two as Allie Morrow found the net early in the period. Ito added another goal in the middle of the period for Wesleyan, but that was as close as the Cardinals would come. Wesleyan pulled in Rachel Stemerman ’09 as an extra skater late in the period, but the Cards were unable to score, as the game ended 4-3 in favor of the Ephs.

Though the loss to Williams was disappointing, the Cardinals finally showed signs of life. Three times they fought back from two-goal deficits. The team also scored its first three goals of the season, led by Jackson and Ito. Ito finished the game with two goals, while Jackson notched a goal to go along with two assists. Jessica Fischer ’08 added an assist.

The numbers throughout the Cardinals’ first three games were not pretty. Skating twice against Trinity College and once against Middlebury College, the Cardinals failed to net a goal.

“It’s obviously not the start we wanted,” said Julia Cohen ’09. “But our puck movement and defensive coverages have held pretty well, so we can build on those.”

Perhaps the one positive that came from these contests was the play of the defense and goaltender Rachel Stemerman ’09. With no offensive support, she was able to keep the Cardinals close in the games. Her best performance came against the Panthers of Middlebury, where she recorded an outstanding 45 saves. During the first four games, she has a respectable .922 save percentage. “Stem [Stemerman] stood on her head against Middlebury,” Cohen said.

“The first four games have allowed us to gain critical experience with the new set of systems,” said Julia Kazmers ’08. “Judging from the positive morale and high level of intensity at practice this week, the team as a whole is ready to secure some wins this weekend.”

The Cardinals look to build on this momentum as they step out of NESCAC play for their next two contests. The team will meet a very difficult Utica College squad who has an impressive 6-1 record thus far. The puck is set to drop at 7 p.m. on Saturday, and the teams will face off again Sunday, Dec. 1 at 1 p.m.