The University’s football team concluded its 2007 season on Saturday at Trinity, losing to the Bantams 32-14. The loss dropped the squad’s record to 4-4 for the year, the best record that a Cardinals football team has held in three seasons.

“Being .500 isn’t amazing, but it’s an improvement,” said linebacker Dave Brustein ’10.

Trinity, a team that has gotten the better of the Cards for the past seven years, received the opening kick-off, but its first drive stalled and punter Grant Kunkel came on to punt for the Bantams. Quarterback Zach Librizzi ’08 and the Cardinal offense took the field on their own 12-yard line. Librizzi connected with receivers Ryan Walsh ’09 and Chris Helsel ’09, moving the ball to the Wesleyan 35-yard line. On second and eight, Librizzi found running back Lane Kirshe ’10 in the flat, and the back scooted to the Wesleyan 38.

As he was tackled, however, Kirshe coughed up the ball to Trinity’s Justin Leake, who recovered the fumble at the Wesleyan 42-yard line. Given great field position, the Bantams’ offense came out rushing. Running back Robert Jackson ran on eight straight plays, gaining two first downs, and bringing the offense to the Wesleyan 10-yard line. Trinity settled for a field goal, but took the early lead in the contest, 3-0.

Following the Bantam score, Wesleyan mounted a drive from its own 45-yard line. Librizzi ran and passed on the seven-play, 24-yard drive that reached the Trinity 35-yard line. Rather than elect to kick a long field goal, Coach Frank Hauser kept the offense on the field and went for it on fourth and six. Librizzi’s ensuing pass fell incomplete.

On the opening drive of the second quarter, the passing game proved tough for the Cards. Wesleyan punter A.J. Taucher ’08 gave the Bantams back the ball on their own 40-yard line. Trinity’s passing game was inept as well, but its offense succeeded rushing, this time with running back Jordan Quinones. Quionones brought the Bantams to the Wesleyan 25-yard line. Another field goal put Trinity up, 6-0.

The Cards and the Bantams traded drives throughout the second quarter, until Trinity marched 87 yards to the Wesleyan 13-yard line with seven seconds left in the first half. Strong rushing from running back Ollie Starnes and 65 passing yards from quarterback Jeff McNamara helped the Bantams against the Cardinal defense. On second and ten, as the clock continued to run, McNamara found receiver Matt Stafford for a 13-yard score. Trinity failed on a two-point conversion try, and the half ended with the Bantams ahead of Wesleyan, 12-0.

Trinity sports the NESCAC’s best rushing offense and, facing such a foe, it was crucial for Wesleyan to establish the run early. But, as Kirshe noted after the game, this proved difficult.

“We couldn’t really run the ball effectively,” Kirshe said. “The size of their defensive line and the overall speed of their linebackers and secondary made running difficult.”

The Bantams’ defense continued to come up with big plays in the second half. The Cards received the ball to open the third quarter, but John Marinelli picked off Librizzi at the Trinity 44-yard line and returned the interception 29-yards. Again given great field position, the Bantam offense capitalized when Quinones scored on a rushing touchdown from 3 yards out.

After trading two drives in the third quarter, Wesleyan turned the ball over once more when running back Taso Fotinos ’10 fumbled after receiving a short pass from Librizzi. The Bantams once again began to march down the field on the shoulders of their running attack. However, the drive stalled and an attempted field goal from Adam Cox, not having enough leg, fell short.

Heading into the fourth quarter, Trinity again mounted a strong drive. As the final stanza began, the Bantams’ offense loomed on the Wesleyan 27-yard line. A Wesleyan defensive back received a 15-yard-pass interference call, which brought Trinity to the Cardinals’ 13-yard line. Quinones again got the call on a rush to the right and rumbled 13 yards for another score, bringing the Bantams’ lead to 25-0.

Despite another interception from Librizzi on the ensuing drive, the Wesleyan offense got the ball back when Jackson fumbled and Bo Brown ’10 recovered at the Wesleyan 28-yard line. With 13 minutes left in the game, Librizzi completed a pass to Fotinos for a huge 56-yard gain. Following an incomplete pass, a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct brought the cardinal offense to first and goal in the Trinity red zone. Librizzi found receiver Mark Noonan ’08 for the 4-yard score one play later.

With the score at 25-7, the Bantams did not let up offensively. Trinity scored within only 50 seconds following Wesleyan’s first score of the day, when quarterback Craig Drusbosky connected with Chris Hunt for a 1-yard touchdown.

Following two penalties on the Bantams for unsportsmanlike conduct, Wesleyan got the ball at their own 45-yard line. After another impressive 46-yard bomb to Helsel, Librizzi rushed into the end zone from one yard out to make the score 32-14 in favor of Trinity.

The game finished with the same score, as both teams began subbing out their starters at the end of the fourth quarter.

For the graduating seniors, a 4-4 record reflects a steady improvement since the 0-8 season that marred their sophomore year. Librizzi finishes the season with a 53.3 percent completion percentage, averaging 226.2 yards passing per game and 31.1 yards rushing. His 258.1 yards per game of total offense led the NESCAC in 2007. Receivers Kevin Leamy ’08 and Ryan Walsh ’09 caught the majority of Zibrizzi’s balls. Leamy had 42 receptions for 343 yards and two touchdowns, while Walsh had 35 receptions for 573 yards and two touchdowns. Shea Dwyer ’10 paced the running backs with 389 yards and four touchdowns. Linebackers Peter Overman ’09 and Vinny Colangelo ’09 led the defense, totaling 71 and 74 tackles, respectively, on the season. Punter Taucher handled every punt over his four years, and his 37-yard average in 2007 was second in the conference.

Despite losing important seniors to graduation, over twenty starters will return to the team next season, including the entire Cardinal offensive line.

“We were competitive in every game, and we played hard in every game, and we had fun,” Kirshe said. “[Next year] we will all be a year older, stronger, and faster, and we will know the system better. We have a good group of guys here, and more will be brought in.”