The men’s soccer team continued its impressive play and extended its winning streak to eight games with three victories this past week over Tufts, Bates, and Western Connecticut State University (WCSU). The eight-game streak matches the longest such run in program history, equaling a feat also accomplished by the 1962 and 1991 squads. The Cardinals are now 8-4 overall, with a 4-3 NESCAC record, after beginning the season 0-4.

The most impressive part of the Cardinal win streak has been the dominating play of the defense, backed by senior goaltenders Matt Gnall ’08 and Jamie Hiteshew ’08. Before Wednesday’s 3-1 victory over WCSU, Gnall and Hiteshew had combined for 475 straight minutes of scoreless play, not allowing a goal in five consecutive games. The stellar run has propelled Hiteshew to the top of the conference standings in both goals against average (0.55) and save percentage (.893).

Alan Ashenfelter ’09, who has been responsible for several game-winning goals already this season, offered his opinion on the stellar play of the team’s defense.

“The shutouts are thanks to both improved play as a defensive unit as well as a few outstanding individual efforts,” he said. “In each game we have had a keeper make an incredible save or a defender make a great stick to preserve the shutout.”

In their game against Tufts last Wednesday, the Cardinals used second half goals from Ozzie Parente ’09 and Ashenfelter to earn their fourth straight shutout. Gnall collected three saves on the day, handling the slick conditions with a calm indicative of his vast experience between the pipes.

Parente scored in the 62nd minute to break the deadlock, converting from just two yards out off of a beautiful low centering pass from Mark Murphy ’10. Ashenfelter extended the lead in the 71st minute after taking a nifty through ball from Matt Nevin ’09 and finishing it past the Jumbos keeper. The Cards out-shot the Jumbos 22-10.

On Saturday, the Cards started their other senior keeper against Bates and got the same result: another shutout, as Hiteshew made 4 saves in 90 minutes of play. Ashenfelter scored his third game-winning goal of the season, running on to a flick header from Kyle Nuland ’09 and directing the ball past the goalie with his left foot. Ashenfelter’s goal came in the 10th minute, and it was all the offense the Cards needed, as their defense shut down another NESCAC foe en route to the team’s seventh win in a row, also their fifth shutout.

An own goal ended the Cards’ scoreless streak in just the second minute of Wednesday’s out of conference match up with WCSU. The Cards were not phased, though, as Nevin knotted the game in the 21st minute with a flick over the goalkeeper off of a feed from Nick Whipple ’10. Austin Woolridge ’11 scored the game winner for Wesleyan in the 77th minute of a high energy, frenzied contest. Woolridge’s cheeky back-heel goal came off of a corner kick by classmate Geoff Zartarian ’11. The two teams combined for 39 shots on the day. The WCSU keeper made 12 saves in defeat, while Gnall continued his great play with nine saves.

“I think the reason for our winning streak is our attitude,” Ashenfelter said. “When we walk onto any field against any team we expect to win. I don’t think we had that confidence in the beginning of the season.”

Wesleyan will look to break the record for consecutive victories when it faces off against NESCAC and Little Three rival Amherst College at Amherst this Saturday, Oct. 20. The contest, part of Amherst’s homecoming weekend, is chock full of playoff implications for both squads. Amherst, currently 7-0 in the NESCAC and the second-ranked team in the country, will look to clinch the regular season conference title–and the right to host the final weekend of the NESCAC playoffs–with a victory. Wesleyan, meanwhile, finds itself in position to earn a first round playoff game in the Birdcage. Currently tied for fourth in the NESCAC standings with Trinity, victories over Amherst this weekend and Bowdoin next Saturday could move the team to as high as third in the final regular season standings. The team remains focused on one game at a time, however, and is ready to take on its Little Three rivals in front of what promises to be a large crowd at Amherst.