The men’s soccer team posted its third straight victory on Saturday, defeating NESCAC rival Connecticut College 1-0 behind the first career shutout by goalie Jamie Hiteshew ’08. Hiteshew recorded five saves in the win, and Jory Kahan ’10 scored his first career goal in the 53rd minute for the game’s only goal. With the victory, the Cards have now beaten the Camels from New London nine straight times, dating back to 1998.

After a 0-4 start to the season, including three losses to NESCAC opponents by a combined score of 8-3, Wesleyan has rebounded recently, winning its last three games and appearing to turn the season around. Saturday’s victory was particularly important, as the Cardinals’ first NESCAC victory of the season moved them from last to eighth in the conference standings.

Hiteshew split his time in net with fellow senior goalkeeper Matt Gnall ’08, and has been superb in the past two games for Wesleyan. In consecutive games versus the Coast Guard and Connecticut College, Hiteshew has played all 180 minutes while registering 13 saves and allowing just one goal.

Most of Hiteshew’s saves came in the crucial second half, when the Camels managed eight corner kicks, only to be shut down continuously by the Wes defense. The game’s lone goal came in the 53rd minute when Kahan headed home a gorgeous free kick from Alan Ashenfelter ’09 to put the Cards in front.

“We got a free kick 35-40 yards out, and Allan curved a perfect ball into the box,” Kahan said. “I just happened to be there and I flicked it towards the goal. It was actually pretty lucky that it went in.”

“I’m pretty sure Jory had his eyes closed on the header,” added tri-captain Justin Mello ’08. “After spending the day before on crutches because ‘his ankle hurt,’ it was nice to see Jory actually contribute to the cause.”

The Camels put a lot of pressure on the Wesleyan defense in the second half, out-shooting the Cards 10-3 in the frame. The Cardinal defense has made great improvements this season, after appearing somewhat shaky during the team’s early season woes. It appears that Wesleyan has turned the corner this season and will look to get back up to .500 with another win this week against Wheaton College.

“Now, we have to just keep on winning, one game at a time,” Kahan said. “None of the other games matter. Our season starts over again on Tuesday against Wheaton.”

Next up for the squad is a trip to Norton, Mass. on Tuesday, where they will face Wheaton College in a non-league game that begins at 4 p.m. On Saturday, Oct. 6, the Cards will host Colby College in a NESCAC contest that is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.