The men’s soccer team dropped a 3-2 decision to Springfield College on Jackson field Wednesday, despite a 2-1 halftime lead. Austin Woolridge ’11 and Mark Murphy ’10 each had their first career collegiate goals in a first half dominated by the Cards. The Pride responded with two second-half goals off of headers, the game-winner coming in the 69th minute. The loss was the Cardinals’ first to Springfield in the teams’ past seven contests.

Wesleyan struck first just six minutes into the first half off a corner kick from Ozzie Parente ’09. The ball found Woolridge at the front post, and the freshman coolly finished the chance for his first career goal and a 1-0 lead for the Cards. With the lead, Wes looked confident with the ball and dominated the pace of play, outshooting the Pride 10-5 in the first half.

The Pride finished their opportunities efficiently, however, and erased the Cardinal lead in the 31st minute when Adrian Schippers scored his first of two goals on the game, off a long cross from teammate Tony Distasio. The Cards continue to struggle with handling dangerous balls played into their box.

The Cardinals remained calm and Murphy responded less than ten minutes later when he gathered a loose ball in front of the net and tucked it past the Springfield keeper for a 2-1 Wesleyan lead.

The second half saw a shift in momentum, as the Pride came out with tremendous aggression. They tied the game in the 55th minute, and then took the lead for good in the 69th. In both cases, Wesleyan’s defensive breakdowns led to Springfield goals via headers. For the second straight game, the Cards were left shocked after letting an early advantage slip away.

Wesleyan coach Geoffrey Wheeler commented on what he thought were the team’s most pressing needs for improvement.

“I feel like our speed of thought needs to improve the most right now, playing 1 and 2-touch soccer as well as anticipating both offensively and defensively,” he said. “We will get better—it’s only our first week!”

Offensively, the Cards appeared hindered by a lack of cohesiveness, as they were called for nine offside penalties during the game, as opposed to zero for the visiting team. Wesleyan was also unable to regain any of the momentum they had in the first half, as they were outshot 11-6 in the second. Matt Gnall ’08 made four saves in the goal for Wesleyan, while BJ Sturdivant had six stops for the Pride.

One of the starters on defense, Co-captain Ross Pemmerl ’08, believes little has to change for the Cards to turn the season around.

“I don’t think major changes need to happen, we’ve proved that we have the ability and skill to shut teams down on defense and create opportunities on offense, itss just brief lapses in our concentration that have hurt us,” Pemmerl said. “I have no doubt that we will bounce back strongly from these first two losses and take out our wrath and frustration on the poor Trinity Fighting Cocks.”

Wesleyan will look for its first win of the season this Saturday with a visit to Trinity College in a NESCAC conference game, scheduled for a 12:00 p.m. kickoff.