The men’s soccer team dropped a heartbreaking loss to the defending NESCAC champions and Little Three rival Williams College in its season opener this past Saturday by a score of 2-1. Wesleyan and Williams, ranked 25th and 8th respectively in the first NSCAA Division III poll, were tied 1-1 until the Ephs scored with three minutes left, shocking the Wesleyan faithful who packed Jackson Field.

With the Williams players visibly unsettled by the volume and ruthlessness of the Cardinal supporters, Wesleyan jumped out quickly to a 1-0 lead just two minutes into the contest. Nick Whipple ’10 streaked down the left side and crossed the ball beautifully to Keisuke Yamashita ’10, who turned and chipped the ball nicely past the Williams keeper for the 1-0 lead.

The advantage would not last, however, as Williams displayed why it is a top-ten team by settling down and answering with a goal. Conor Smith scored off a corner kick for the Ephs at 19:56 of the first half to tie the score at one.

The intensity of the game picked up significantly as the teams remained scoreless for the remainder of the first half and deep into the second. Williams played a noticeably physical game, earning two first-half yellow cards, and another three in the second. The Cards were not affected by their opponent’s rough play, though, and continued to generate several great scoring opportunities.

Wesleyan goalkeeper and tri-captain Matt Gnall ’08 commented on the squad’s offensive dexterity.

“Not only did we have chances to win, but we outplayed them for the majority of the game,” Gnall said. “I have never seen a Wesleyan team put together such offensive cohesion this early in the season. We really had Williams on their heels for long stretches of the match.”

In the second half, the Williams goalie was forced to make eight saves, including two stellar stops, to keep the game leveled. The Cards’ two best chances were in the late stages of the second half, when the game’s intensity was at its peak. Mark Murphy ’10 received the ball at the top of the box, turned, and fired a right-footed shot to the far corner. Graham,
the Williams keeper, dove quickly and made a spectacular save to keep the ball out of the net.

The Ephs were on their heels for the majority of the second half as Wesleyan continued to pile on the offensive pressure. Asante Brooks ’10 made a skillful run with about seven minutes remaining in the game. He split two defenders and maneuvered his way to a one on one with the goalie. The Williams keeper was up to the challenge once again, as he blocked the shot to keep the teams tied.

At this point of the game, the Wesleyan fans were louder than ever and were in awe of the adept offensive prowess that their team exhibited. Unfortunately, just when it seemed like a draw was inevitable, Williams struck quickly to quiet the Wesleyan faithful. Dan Curbelo-Zeidman scored his first collegiate goal off of a Cardinal defensive breakdown to put Williams in front 2-1 with under three minutes remaining in the contest. The final whistle blew, and Wesleyan and its supporters left
Jackson Field in shock.

“Two momentary lapses in defensive positioning resulted in two goals for Williams, but otherwise I thought our defense performed admirably,” Gnall said. “I was very proud of the way we played and I am confident that if we continue to improve, the results will come.”

Wesleyan will look to rebound when the Cards face Springfield College, a non-NESCAC foe, at 4:30 PM on Wednesday, Sept. 12 on Jackson Field. The Cards return to their NESCAC schedule this coming Saturday, Sept. 15, when they visit Trinity College for a 12:00 p.m. contest.
In the second half, the Williams goalie was forced to make eight saves, including two stellar stops, to keep the game leveled. The Cards’ two best chances were in the late stages of the second half, when the game’s intensity was at its peak. Mark Murphy ’10 received the ball at the top of the box, turned, and fired a right-footed shot to the far corner. Graham, the Williams keeper, dove quickly and made a spectacular save to keep the ball out of the net.

At this point of the game, the Wesleyan fans were louder than ever and were in awe of the adept offensive prowess that their team exhibited. Unfortunately, just when it seemed like a draw was inevitable, Williams struck quickly to quiet the Wesleyan faithful. Dan Curbelo-Zeidman scored his first collegiate goal off of a Cardinal defensive breakdown to put Williams in front 2-1 with under three minutes remaining in the contest. The final whistle blew, and Wesleyan and its supporters left Jackson Field in shock.