The men’s soccer team enters its 2007 campaign with high hopes after reaching the NCAA tournament in each of the past two seasons.

The Cards finished 11-3-3 a year ago and came up short of repeating as NESCAC champions, as they fell to Bates College 1-0 in double overtime in the conference tournament. Despite the loss, Wesleyan received an at-large bid to the “big dance” and dismantled Baruch College 5-0 in a first-round game played on Jackson Field. The Cards’ run ended in the next round, however, as they lost their next game in a nail-biter to national powerhouse Montclair State University. The abrupt ending to the system left an unsatisfied squad with lofty expectations for the 2007 season.

Known for their great depth last season, the Cards will continue to be strong this year despite losing five starters to graduation. They return 13 lettermen from last year’s squad and enter the season ranked 25th nationally.

Wesleyan is anchored by tri-captains Matt Gnall ’08, Ross Pemmerl ’08, and Justin Mello ’08, all of whom are three-year starters on defense with Gnall between the pipes.

When asked about this season’s goals and expectations, Gnall was confident but grounded.

“The success of the past two years has raised the level and reputation of the program significantly,” he said. “Our goals are lofty, but we believe them to be realistic. Anything less than a return trip to NCAAs will be disappointing for a team with so many talented players.”

Offensively, the Cards return their leading scorer and two-time All-NESCAC selection Matt Nevin ’09. Returning starters flanking Nevin on offense Alan Ashenfelter ’09 and Nick Whipple ’10.

With five starters from the NCAA teams of the past two seasons gone, Wesleyan will need some players to step up in order to maintain the team’s high level of play. Gnall shared his thoughts on this season’s players to watch.

“Expect to see breakout seasons from Ozzie Parente ’09, Asante Brooks ’10, and Nick Whipple ’10 in the midfield and the same standard of defensive ferocity that has come to be expected from Ross Pemmerl ’08, Alan Ashenfelter ’09, and Justin Mello ’08,” Gnall said. “Up front, Nevin is one of the most dangerous forwards in the league and we will continue to rely on him to generate offense.”

The Cards will have stiff competition this Saturday, when the defending NESCAC champions, Williams College, come to town to face the Cards in the season opener. The Little Three rivalry has gotten very heated the past few seasons, with three of the past four meetings between the squads decided by one goal. Williams comes into the game ranked 8th nationally in the NCAA preseason Division III poll. With Wesleyan and Amherst also in the preseason top 25 (with Amherst at 19) the NESCAC is one of the strongest conferences in the country this season.

“Williams will certainly be a challenge to open the season, but should give us a better idea of where we are as a team and what areas we will need to improve upon in order to see ourselves achieve a NESCAC Championship and another NCAA berth,” Gnall said.

The season opener is this Saturday, Sept. 8 at 2 p.m. on Jackson Field.