Decisions, decisions, decisions: in the end, that’s what the first few days of Orientation are all about. Does the liquid expelled from the dorm water fountains taste revolting enough to merit buying a Brita filter? (Yes). To hang out with roommate, or to not hang out with roommate? (Unless you have arrived already on a speaking basis with your 193 friends on Facebook, then you probably don’t have much of a choice).

However, no decision might end up having a more lasting impact than picking which classes to take this first semester. There are over 40 academic departments and hundreds of courses to choose from, resulting in enough schedules to make a frosh’s head spin from the possibilities
Unlike other peer institutions, Wesleyan has no introductory writing, foreign language or science class requirements, and the freedom that students have to pick and choose their classes can be both exhilarating and terrifying.

“I feel like I’m not on top of things and I should be,” said Robert Alvarez ’11.

Many students took advantage of Wednesday’s Academic Forum to wander through the Freeman Athletic Center, talking to professors and upperclassmen about the range of majors and classes. However, many first year students continued to voice concern that while the diversity of classes at the University was tantalizing, it was a challenge to balance interest in large introductory courses that may later fulfill major requirements with more specialized and even quirky options.

“It’s difficult,” said Blair Wilson ’11. “Essentially, it’s overwhelming because there are no requirements and a lot of the classes are really specific. It’s hard to motivate yourself to take Intro to Chemistry when you can take Ancient Chinese Philosophy or something like that. But at the same time there’s the question of well, how exactly can I build upon this?”

“Right now I feel I little lost,” she added.

Many students who emphasized their concern over fulfilling University requirements remained confused as to how ‘required’ it was to have arrived with a specific major in mind. In fact, as Dean of Admission and Financial Aid Nancy Meislahn said during President Roth’s opening remarks in the Memorial Chapel on Tuesday, one third of the class of 2011 does not know what they want to major in.

“It’s hard because a lot of courses can make you feel like you should have your major picked already,” said Abby Lavine ’11. “I wish someone could tell us we could just dabble for now and fulfill our requirements later.”

Indeed, dabbling is what professors such as Chair of the College of Letters Ethan Kleinberg encourage first year students to do this semester.

“Students should follow things that they’re curious about,” said Kleinberg, “which hopefully means they don’t end up taking nine classes in movement.”

Kleinberg described the task of selecting first semester courses as perfectly in line with the University’s “rigorous freedom.”

“Generally I tell them they should start thinking about things they’re passionate about,” he said. “They shouldn’t feel beholden to certain things as they did in high school. Especially in high school, you have to jump through so many hoops and fulfill so many requirements just to end up in a place like this.”

For the first semester, a career-oriented approach to creating the perfect schedule may not be the best idea.
“Don’t go into anything with a pre-professional attitude,” said Laura Silver ’08. “If you haven’t taken an Art Theology class, then take an Art Theology class. College is about learning how to think critically.”

Classes off the beaten path may seem intimidating and perhaps, at first glance, impractical, but are often smaller and offer more opportunities for building key relationships with professors. In fact, as exciting as those course descriptions might read, often it’s a better idea to go right to the source and ask students themselves which classes are life altering and which ones over hyped.

“Ask upperclassmen about professors,” said Stacie Szmonko ’07. “Pick classes by professors, not by course description.”

“Don’t be intimidated by words like hegemony,” she added.
Besides conversations with upperclassmen eager to spill the beans on the great, the good and the ugly when it comes to class selection, online services can also provide guidance and reassurance for the stressed frosh.

“I was looking at ratemyprofessor.com,” said Elizabeth Gauvey Kern ’11. “ But it’s hard when there’s only four comments about one professor.”

In the end, getting the best out of Wesleyan certainly involves taking advantage of top-notch faculty, but by no means does the college experience boil down to what happens from now to December.

“Relax,” said Jesse Nasta ’07. “You have four years to breathe. Wesleyan has more great classes than you can take for four credits, and you don’t have to fit it all in one semester. Take the time to find where you fit here.”

Time may feel like the one thing that’s missing during the hustle and bustle of Orientation week, but remember, it’s the one thing that first year students have – four whole years.

“My dad likes to say that college is one third of what happens when you’re not working or sleeping,” said Laura Silver ’08.