Due to high demand and great suggestions, the Film Series has decided to extend its program through Reading Week.

Kenneth Branagh Presents: RENT!
USA, Dir: Kenneth Branagh

Come see Kenneth Branagh’s loose Civil War-era interpretation of Jonathan Larson’s smash Broadway hit based on Puccini’s classic opera about artists who don’t have jobs dying of tuberculosis, aids, or- in Branagh’s version- scurvy. “Kenneth Branagh Presents: RENT!” features hit songs “Will I Lose My Teeth?,” “Kenneth Branagh’s Light My Candle,” “I’ll Cover You with Ascorbic Acid,” and “No Day But Today, the Day of our Lord, April 26, 1985.” Starring Kenneth Branagh.

High Art
USA. Dir: Lisa Cholodenko, 1998

Ally Sheedy is a heroin-addicted lesbian once-famous photographer who doesn’t submit her work to major publications anymore because she’s tired of dealing with the man. Radha Mitchell is the junior editor of a prestigious photography magazine who happens to live in the apartment just below Ally Sheedy’s. When a leaky ceiling brings the two together, chaos ensues! Watch the ladies do heroin, diss Dostoyevsky, and dodge Sheedy’s jealous German ex-lover as they walk down the path to true love and inevitable tragedy. This film will make you question your life. In the best way.

Air Bud
USA, Dir: Charles Smith, 1997

One of the most enlightening films of the nineties. Bud’s 86 minute heroic journey from outcasted hound to star of the high school basketball team will have you laughing, cheering, and perhaps inspire you to “Sit, stay, shoot, and score”. Don’t miss the reference to Battleship Potemkin’s stairway scene.

Baby Geniuses 2: Superbabies
USA, Dir: Bob Clark, 2004

I know what you’re thinking: “Why are they showing Baby Geniuses Two?” I went through the same thought process before I attended the preview screening. How could Bob Clark hope to equal, let alone surpass, his magnum opus, Baby Genius One? Let’s just say Clark pulls a Godfather 2 on us. His use of mise en scene makes this 74 minute romp one for the ages.

The Collected Works of Paris Hilton
USA, Dir: Rick Salomon, 2004

Featuring the famous 1 Night in Paris, along with numerous other short vignettes. Come watch Salomon and his auteur style, as he gives his actress directions of, “Oh yeah, that’s nice. Slower, yeah just like that. Yeah, babe. GOD DAMN!” This is the film that revolutionized the Night Vision Shot. As one fourteen year old called it, “The greatest art house film in the history of American cinema.”