Though the big red house on Pine Street is often affectionately referred to as the “Red Barn,” it is technically the Women of Color House.

Upon entering the house, it is clear that its six residents have infused their creative spirit into every aspect of their home—down to the bright purple sticky notes on the kitchen cabinets that detail their contents.

According to its mission statement, the house was created in 1990 as a “safe place for all who are committed to women of color issues on campus.”

Priya Ghosh ’09, a resident of the house, explained that although she didn’t strongly identify as a woman of color prior to Wesleyan, she wanted to live in the house because it was important for her to be accepted in that community.

In contrast with schools such as Vassar College and Williams College, Wesleyan offers a wide array of program houses that cater to students’ interests in racial, ethnic, and religious identities, as well as the outdoors, activism, and the arts.

Student opinions, however, differ as to whether or not identity-based program houses merit a place on college campuses.

“I definitely can understand why the idea of identity-based program houses makes people uncomfortable,” Ghosh said.

She explained that this lack of comfort is often caused by the “bad assumption” that being of the specified identity is a requirement to live in that house.

“Not only women of color can understand these issues, but people who make an effort to understand them,” Ghosh said.

Alana Miller ’08, House Manager of the Bayit, the Jewish community house, agreed with Ghosh.

“The only requirement to live in the Bayit is to show an interest in Judaism,” she said. “It doesn’t mean you have to be Jewish [to live there].”

Though identity-based program houses do not only accept students of that identity, Adeneiki Williams ’10 suggested that program houses may be partial to students of that identity.

“In some sense, program house applications do favor people who are of that group because they might have more experience with the idea of the house,” said Williams, who plans to live in X-House next year.

According to Miller, regardless of who lives in program houses, the entire campus community can benefit from them.

“The goal of program houses isn’t just to program for a specific community,” Miller said. “It’s also dedicated to the whole community, and reaching out to others.”

Fhatima Paulino ’10 decided to live in La Casa next year for similar reasons.

“I want to be able to spread Latino awareness as a part of myself, but also show it to other people who aren’t exposed to it and maybe all they know are stereotypes,” she said.

Dawn Brown, the Area Coordinator for Program Houses, said that program houses create a unique environment.

“These spaces on campus are seen as a safe space to some, which truly helps them flourish and be empowered to have a successful experience here at Wesleyan,” she said.

Daniel Teraguchi, Dean for Diversity and Academic Advancement, concurred.

“Program houses are essential for building community,” Teraguchi said. “[They are] places to rejuvenate, reflect, process, and relax.”

Teraguchi also explained that Wesleyan’s program housing system is conducive with the ABCs for engagement: Affirming Identities, Building Community, and Cultivating, Leadership, a concept created by Beverly Daniel Tatum ’75.

In her article, “The ABC Approach to Creating Climates of Engagement on Diverse Campuses,” Tatum explains that since most students enter college with stereotypes and prejudices, there is a need for engagement, through methods that affirm identity, such as program houses.

“Students who feel affirmed in this way are more likely to be willing to reach out beyond their own identity groups,” she concludes in the article.

“With program houses, people have a base where they feel secure, so they are more open and willing to participate in the campus community,” Williams said. “It also shows that their institution respects their cultural identity… If universities have sports teams, Greek houses, and other places of identity, then program houses should be a part of that mix. It’s uniting people of a common interest, like all clubs and groups.”

However, some feel that these houses segregate students.

“I just wonder if it’s worth losing a group of people who are really into the outdoors or activism in a certain area, if they are isolating themselves,” said Jordan Brown ’10. “I’m not saying that happens, but it could happen.”

“Program houses create segregation, and that is something this school is supposed to be against,” said. Daniel St. Hilaire ’10.