After a difficult 2006 season, the women’s crew team opens its 2007 season Saturday with a race against the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and the College of Holy Cross.

“The varsity 8 has been rowing very well in practice, and we are looking forward to racing,” said team co-captain Deirdre Salsich ’07.

This young team, with six freshman and four sophomores on the fifteen-person roster, is eager to improve.

“The underclassmen have really worked hard, and they know that they are an integral part of our success as a team,” Salsich said. “Spring break was a tremendous test of our strength as a collective unit, but we pushed through it and are now ready to race some really competitive schools.”

The team will compete in four races in April, including an April 14th race against Tufts University and a race for the Little Three Championship a week later.

“We have a pretty good rivalry with them [Tufts] and the course is very narrow and fun to race on. The Williams/Amherst regatta is also a fun one because you are racing for bragging rights…Both schools always field good crew teams, so it is a really exciting race to be a part of,” she said.

The team will continue action in May with races at the New England Championships and the ECAC Collegiate Regatta before concluding the season late in the month at the NCAA Women’s Rowing Championship in Tennessee.