The golf team opened its 2007 campaign in Florida with an impressive first outing. David Velardo ’08 started the spring season in fashion by shooting the lowest round not only of his career but the lowest round in Wesleyan history. He shot a 4-under 68 on the Par 72 Indian Springs Golf Classic in Ft. Pierce, Fla. on March 23 with 14 pars and four birdies on the round. With his performance, Velardo was the medalist in a group that featured very strong teams from St. Lawrence and Williams.

Velardo was able to maintain a high level of play despite rough weather.

“The conditions of the course were somewhat easy – it was windy and we had some rain during the round, but the course was not really that difficult,” Velardo said. “I like the wind because I can keep my irons low under it and control the distance better than most of my competitors; also, playing in bad weather can bring the best out of me a lot of the time because I know I have to be better than usual to score well.”

In the team scoring in Florida, Wesleyan fell to perennial northeast powerhouse Williams College by only three points and fell to St. Lawrence by just two points. Second behind Velardo for the Cardinals was Eli Wilson ’09, who shot an 81 on the day.

Before his 68 in Florida, Velardo’s previous career best was the 69 he shot at Skidmore last year, which was then the lowest round by a Wesleyan golfer in 30 years at the time.

The Cards continue their spring campaign on Friday, April 6 when they visit Rhode Island College.