Even though the men’s hockey season ended at the hands of Amherst in the first round of the NESCACs last Saturday, starting goaltender Mike Palladino ’09 did all he could to keep the Cardinals alive in the postseason. The Litchfield, CT native made 30 saves, adding to his season total of 469 and improving his save percentage to .920, good enough for tops in the NESCAC. His goals against average of 2.12 is also best in the league and a major reason behind Wesleyan’s record-setting 2006-2007 season. Palladino also combined with his defensemen to help the Cardinals allow the third-fewest goals in the league. With a bevy of scoring returning next season to compliment “Dino’s” play in the crease, the Cards look in good shape for the future.

Two Wesleyan school records fell last weekend at NESCACs as Dan Storms ’10, Jeff Stein ’08, Chris Becker ’09, and Mike Pepi ’08 together set new precedents for speed in the 200 and 400 freestyle relays. The group posted a time of 1:25.14 in the 200 free, .24 seconds faster than the previous school record, and 3:09.77 in the 400 free, besting the previous mark by .11 seconds. The group rode impressive split times from Pepi and Becker to break the team records, one of which–the 400 relay record–had stood since 1994. The foursome’s record-breaking weekend was a major reason the Cardinals secured a solid seventh place showing in the conference meet, miles ahead of the eighth-place team.