Wrestling is a unique sport in which a total team victory relies entirely upon individual performance and success. Similar to tennis, a team’s accomplishment in a match is simply the cumulative score of all of the individual team members. While the wrestling team consists of a cohesive group of guys that compete in practice, motivate each other in the off-season, and hang out together, when it comes time for in-season matches each Cardinal wrestler is on his own—a competitor hoping for solo success and the eventual success of the team. Each wrestler, however, can only help determine the outcome of his own match. Each prepares specific tactics and moves for his opponents and focuses solely on their weight class. As Wesleyan wrestling reaches the climax of its season on wave of recent success, we stop to take a look at all the individual weight classes, from lightest to heaviest, in which Wesleyan competes, that have contributed to a 9-6 overall team record at week’s end.

125 POUNDS

In the 125-pound weight class, Dan Bloom ’10 continues a strong performance for the team, especially as a freshman. Bloom scored wins over the second-, fifth-, and sixth-ranked 125-pound wrestlers in the New England College Conference Wrestling Association, and currently sits in third place in the conference. Wrestling in all of Wesleyan’s matches thus far, Bloom has a record of 10-5 in his weight class, and, including tournament scores, an overall record of 18-9. Look for Bloom to have a huge impact in the NECCWA Championships in February.

133 POUNDS

At 133 pounds, Josh Wildes ’08 is having a strong second half of the season, much like last year. His strong performances were highlighted with a 3-0 win against Williams at the NECCWA Duals on Jan. 21 in Bridgewater, Massachusetts and a victory by pin against Coast Guard this past Thursday at home. Wildes hovered around .500 for the beginning of the season before reeling off a 10-3 record in January for an overall record of 14-8 so far this season. Wildes also ranks third in his weight class. “[Wildes] could win the entire tournament if he continues having the success he is having. He is one of the toughest kids in our wrestling room every day and always puts up big wins,” said Tomi Uyehara ’08.

149 POUNDS

Senior Dan Zeigarnik ‘ 07 has held down the 149-pound class for the past few years, but has struggled with consistency through the first half of the season. This past week however, Zeigarnik has begun to hit his stride. Turning in a 2-2 record in the NECCWA Duals including a pin against WPI a week ago, Zeigarnik had a huge weekend against Johnson and Wales, a team ranked 12th nationally. In his first match, Zeigarnik had a definitive 10-3 victory and won a huge overtime decision, 6-4, against the third-ranked wrestler in his class in the second match. The team will rely upon Zeigarnik’s experience as the NECCWA tournament approaches.

157 POUNDS

Captain Dan Delalla ’07 continues to dominate opponents at both the 157- and 165-pound weight classes. Delalla has a near flawless record of 10-1 at 157 pounds, 7-1 in tournaments, and 1-1 at 165 pounds for an overall record of 18-3 on the season. Delalla shined in the NECCWA Duals where he went 4-0 in individual competition including two pins against Bridgewater and Williams. Dellala’s versatility as a wrestler has been utilized as he stepped up to wrestle in the heavier 165-pound class against Johnson and Wales this past weekend, after winning 10-3 at 157. Though he lost to Steve Martell, the top 165-pound wrestler in New England and returning All-American, Delalla cracked the national spotlight as he now ranks sixth nationally and second in New England in the 157-pound class.

165 POUNDS

The team’s usual go-to at the 165-pound class was freshman Greg Hurd ’10, who has been suffering from the lethargic effects of mononucleosis since winter break and has not been able to wrestle. In addition to Delalla competing in 165-pound matches, Zack Rolfe ’10 has been a strong replacement for Hurd. Though he is relatively light to be wrestling in the 165-pound weight class, he has won three straight matches for the Cards.

184 POUNDS

The most exciting class during the second half of the season is the 184-pound class, where returning fan favorite Jeremy Stuart ’08 has dominated. Returning fresh from a semester off, Stuart has not lost a step and defeated the first- and fifth-ranked wrestlers in the NECCWA at 184 pounds. Since his triumphant return to wrestling on Jan. 6 at the North-South Duals at Ursinus College, Stuart turned in a perfect 3-0 record in tournaments and an overall record of 11-4.

“Our team dynamic is great, everyone has been working hard and I really enjoy contributing to our success,” Stuart said.

197 AND 285 POUNDS

At 197 pounds, Mike Lima ’08 has been frustrated by nagging injuries after a strong start to the season. Sophomore John Gottfried ’09 has filled in for Lima and has had several big wins for the Cards, including crucial decisions against Williams and WPI. The heaviest of the weight classes, 285, has become the stomping ground for graduate student Steve Campbell ’06. “Our team would not be 9-6 without ‘Campbell Soup,’” Uyehara said. Campbell has gone 6-1 in his last seven matches, including a 4-3 win against Johnson and Wales and a pin against Coast Guard. Having Campbell back as a ringer at heavyweight has helped the team win several close matches this season.

With all the individual successes of this season, the team looks confidently toward the NECCWA Tournament, scheduled over a weeklong period with matches on Feb. 11, 17, and 18. Before this season-ending event, the Cards will face Williams College at Western Connecticut this coming Sunday. Williams is a perennial foe though Wesleyan has a history of beating the Ephs.

“We absolutely spanked Williams [during the NECCWA Duals],” Uyehara said. “I don’t know about other teams on campus, but we have beaten Williams seven out of the last eight years and we will face them for the second time this season. It should be a much closer dual meet than last time, when they were missing two of their higher-ranked wrestlers and will be looking for revenge.”

The wrestling team ranks third in the NECCWA, the highest ranking for the team in more than three years, with all six losses to top-thirty teams nationally. Look for the team in action at home this Thursday against WPI at 7:30 p.m.