The dining experience at Wesleyan will be very different for students returning to campus in the fall. Not only will the opening of the Usdan University Center bring together most of the campus eating venues in a new environment, but the Bon Appétit Management Company dining service will occupy the spot filled by Aramark since 1988.

Dean of Campus Programs Rick Culliton, who participated on the 10-person dining review committee, called Bon Appétit “the right fit for Wesleyan moving forward.”

“Bon Appétit is committed to preparing fresh food from scratch using high quality ingredients, and as a company is committed to sustainability, social responsibility, and economic feasibility,” Culliton said. “Each of these were important factors to the committee in making this recommendation.”

With its previous five-year dining contract ending this spring, the University considered six contenders, including Aramark, for the position. Several prospective companies advertised to students when they visited Wesleyan last fall, while the dining committee reviewed proposals and visited other campuses to sample the applicants’ services.

John Engstrom, regional vice president of Bon Appétit, said that his company was interested in a contract with Wesleyan because of shared interests and values.

“We looked at Wesleyan and realized it had a similar culture in regards to dining,” Engstrom said. “Students recognize the importance of sustainability, organic produce, and quality food, which are principles we stand for.”

The Bon Appétit Management Company (unrelated to the culinary magazine of the same name) is a restaurant company that caters to corporations, educational institutions, and other specialty venues. Their website highlights a policy of making socially and environmentally responsible purchasing decisions, as well as cooking delicious, healthy meals from scratch with fresh, seasonal ingredients.

Students who participated on the dining search committee are enthusiastic about the choice.

“One of the things that was amazing about this process was that Bon Appétit was so clearly the top choice,” said Annie Fox ’07. “By the time we got through the interviews, the question wasn’t, ‘Who is our first choice?’ but, ‘When do we announce?’”

Chris Goy ’09 lauded Bon Appétit’s apparent commitment to environmental responsibility and food quality.

“I wish students could have seen the looks on [the chefs’] faces when presented with the idea of using packaged, processed foods just because it was easier,” he said. “Many of them looked like we were speaking blasphemy.”

One of the contentions regarding the dining service decision was whether or not a new company would provide the same employment opportunities as under Aramark. There were also worries that too great a focus on organic products and gourmet foods would lead to cuts in workers’ benefits.

“We are not going to take cutbacks,” dining service employee and Union Steward Raquel Adorno told the Argus on November 17, 2006. “We have fought long and hard for our wages, and we will go to the [bargaining] table again if necessary.”

In his recent campus-wide e-mail announcing the dining service selection, Vice President for Finance and Administration John Meerts confirmed that Bon Appétit would keep the same number of employees. However, some apprehensions remain about the transition. Sue Silvestro, vice president of union chapter Local 217 and a campus dining worker for 19 years, expressed concern about some changes that could take place.

“One of our concerns was that the new service also maintain the same number of full-time positions and benefits,” Silvestro said. “We were also told in meetings with administrators that working hours could be different. Right now no one knows for sure.”

One likely difference for campus dining staff will be their exact responsibilities under Bon Appétit.

“Some changes may occur in terms of the nature of their jobs, simply because the new facilities and the new method of food preparation will demand different work,” said WSA Coordinator and student committee member Estrella Lopez ’07. “So someone who currently works at a grill station may have to change to the entree station or something like that.”

Bon Appétit has been in touch with the union and, according to Culliton, the University will be meeting directly with the staff in the coming days.

“The University is very aware that the dining workers enhance the daily lives of students across campus and fully agree that their presence on campus is, in many ways, just as important as other employees of the University,” Goy said.

Silvestro acknowledged these efforts toward cooperation and transparency.

“We are so glad for open communication with Wesleyan,” she said. “Our hope is that this transition will be very smooth for workers and students alike. We will be looking out to see if Bon Appétit keeps its promises for good quality products and does what’s best for the campus.”

Increased dining costs do not seem to be an issue with Bon Appétit’s contract.

“We wanted a provider that could deliver excellent food, bring some stability to the price craziness on campus, and uphold a commitment to social responsibility,” Fox said. “Bon Appétit is the industry leader in social responsibility, and from what I have seen at other campuses, they deliver excellent food for reasonable prices.”

As for the move to a completely new dining facility, Engstrom asserted that this would not be an issue for Bon Appétit.

“We experienced a similar transition at Roger Williams University, where we occupied a brand new building,” he said. “This has helped us develop a good road map that we can now apply to Wesleyan’s University Center. We will also be engaged in meetings regarding the new facility so that the transition goes well.”

Bon Appétit’s contract unofficially begins July 1, but the company is considering an earlier move-in date, as early as June 1.

“We want the transition to be as easy and transparent as possible in readiness for the college’s summer conferences,” Engstrom said.