Wesleyan (3-5) dropped their final game of the 2006 season to perennial powerhouse Trinity College (7-1) 41-0 last Saturday on Andrus Field. The Wesleyan offense was plagued by turnovers, throwing six interceptions and dropping two fumbles.

The Cardinals managed only 141 total yards of offense and eight first downs, compared to Trinity’s twenty-one first downs and 437 yards. Quincy Francis ’06, playing in his final game as a Cardinal, registered twelve tackles to bring his season total to 86, second in the NESCAC and only two behind the league leader.

Trinity defensive end Tyler Berry ’07 registered eight tackles (1.5 for a loss), two interceptions, a pass breakup and a sack, and earned NESCAC Defensive Player of the Week honors in his final NESCAC game.

While Trinity failed to break through on their first two possessions, the Bantams scored on five of their next six possessions and jumped out to a 27-0 halftime lead. Quarterback Eric McGrath ran for the first score of the game from nine yards out, then passed for the team’s third touchdown, a 17-yard completion to receiver Justin Holiday. Trinity kicker Kevin Swiniarski converted on field goals from 23 and 27 yards, both in the second quarter.

McGrath added two more touchdowns in the second half. The first was a 6-yard catch from Gennaro Leo on a halfback pass. Trinity’s final touchdown was a five-yard pass from McGrath to Joe Clark. Leo also scored on a touchdown run in the first half.

By shutting out Wesleyan, Trinity’s defense finished its season without allowing a touchdown for twenty-four straight quarters. The streak contributed to the Bantam’s number one NESCAC rank in scoring defense; the team allowed only 6.8 points per game. Against the tough competition, Wesleyan quarterbacks Zach Librizzi ’08 and Zach Canter ’07 combined for 15 completions on 39 attempts with 111 yards and six picks.

Canter led the Cards in rushing with 31 yards on ten carries. Receivers Kevin Leamy ’09 and Ryan Walsh ’09 each had five catches on the game.

Playing in their final game, Joe Pepe ’07 and Brian Mahr ’07 each had nine tackles, while Jeff McClaren ’06 recorded eight tackles and two pass break-ups.

Kwasi Ansu ’09 recorded eight tackles. David Brustein ’10 saw the most action of his season and had three tackles, including one for a loss of two yards.

“The season was a starting point,” Brustein said. “We had great leaders and role models for our up and coming players. Our freshman class this season is very strong, and our team expects a lot next year.”

With many contributing players returning—including Librizzi, much of the offensive line and top wide-outs Walsh, Leamy and Dan Granatell ’10—the Cardinal offense is poised for a breakout season next year.

Defensively, Wesleyan will look to build on this year’s success despite graduating a several starters.

“We are all excited for next year. We made big steps this season and will look to continue to improve in the off season,” Ansu said.

This season, Phil Banks ’07 led Wesleyan’s running game with 266 yards and seven touchdowns. Meanwhile, Walsh led the receivers with 44 catches for 557 yards.

Librizzi finished the year with 1,275 yards passing, 159 yards per game. Tim O’Callaghan was right behind Francis for the team lead in tackles with 77. Mahr stood out with 12.5 tackles for a loss and three sacks, leading the team in both categories.