Annually, revenue from ticketed parking violations on campus could pay the tuition for one University student. During the 2005-2006 academic year, Public Safety pulled in $46,000 from parking fines, up from $44,635 during the previous year.

These numbers exclude the mandatory $50 registration fee that each student must pay in order to have a motor vehicle on campus. Students registered 712 cars last year, totaling $35,600, down from the 2004-2005 total of 740 cars and $37,000 in registration revenue. The University does not limit the number of vehicles registered on campus.

While Public Safety does not maintain minimum income targets for vehicle registration and violation fines, the department is able to make projections based on previous year’s numbers.

“We don’t have quotas, but there’s an expectation that this much money will come in through ticketing,” said Director of Public Safety David Meyer.

According to Meyer, revenue from last year exceeded projections. Revenue from both registration and fines go to the general University Fund.

“It doesn’t bother me that much,” said Constance Smith ’08 of violation fees. “Even if they’re a little more expensive, the money goes back into the school.”

“Our challenge is to make sure we have a balanced budget each and every year,” said Vice President for Finance and Administration John Meerts. “All revenue, whether it is from tuition, fees, gifts, or any other sources, goes into general revenue for the University.

Of last year’s $129,678 million fund, the combined income from registration and vehicle fines contributed $81,600, or 0.062925 percent to the fund.

”So, the proceeds of these fines are a very small part of what pays for salaries, financial aid, campus security, building maintenance, etc.,“ Meerts said.

Meyer reports to Vice President and Secretary of the University Peter Patton on Public Safety’s contribution to the general fund. Although the department’s income goes directly to the fund, Meyer said that he might recommend allocations for security-related items. In recent years, for example, budget expenditures have included an updated dispatch system for Public Safety, which improves communication between officers in the Public Safety building and officers patrolling campus.

”It makes us more efficient,“ Meyer said of the new system.

Despite what large revenue from fines may suggest, campus security has limited jurisdiction over traffic on campus. Only the 17 parking lots, Foss Hill Drive, and Mocon Circle are private University property. The remaining streets are public and under the jurisdiction of the Middletown Police Department (MPD). Thus, Public Safety does not fine moving violations on University property. Meyer said that when a University officer witnesses an obvious violation, the department contacts the MPD.

”We don’t have any authority on the streets,“ Meyer said. ”But those are usually exceptional cases.“

Public Safety also forwards to the MPD cases of non-student drivers who commit parking or moving violations on campus.

A ticket from the MPD Parking Authority lists 17 different types of violation, with fines ranging from $5 for the violation ”Obstructing driveway,“ $10 for ”Sweeping Parking Ban,“ and $25 for ”Restricted Permit Required.“ The only violation fee over $25 is ”Disability Designated Violation,“ for which the city fines $85.

According to the MPD Treasurer, motor vehicle violations during 2005 totaled $185,000 in fines. This includes parking tickets and court fines—for example, driving with broken headlights.

A ticket from Public Safety lists nine different violations, with fines ranging from $20 to $50. The University fines a student $20 for the first motor vehicle offense and $30 for all additional offenses. Listed under a $50 fine are: ”Vehicle Registration,“ ”Immobilization by Auto Kuff or Boot,“ and ”Winter Parking Ban.“ The fee for towing, according to a Public Safety ticket, ranges from $30 to $100.

The University alters motor vehicle fees periodically, based on monetary inflation with the assistance of professional financial advisors.

”We’re not sitting around here saying, ‘Let’s just jack up the student fines to balance the budget,’“ Meerts said in reference to inflation.

The University conducted a study to compare its fees with those of peer institutions five years ago. It raised its rates about three years ago.

”Every couple of years, you see where you sit compared to other places,“ Meyer said. ”Everybody asks what everybody else is paying.“

Meyer said that altered rates come with the expected benefit of a reduction in the amount of violations.

”We hope we get compliance,“ he said. ”We do monitor regular violations if it’s obvious that a fine isn’t enough to deter [a student].“

Students do not always consider the expensive fees justified.

”It’s partially my fault, I’d say, but the prices are also exorbitant,“ said Amanda Facelle ’09 of being fined for parking in a faculty lot. ”Public Safety should spend more time patrolling the campus for security reasons than for ticketing students.“

Like Facelle, students commit the majority of violations by parking in unauthorized lots. They may park in faculty lots only after class hours—from 5 p.m. to midnight—and during weekends.

”We’re working with a finite number of spaces,“ Meyer said.

The University may appeal to the Student Judicial Board (SJB) with cases in which a student repeatedly fails to comply with parking regulations or acknowledge tickets. According to SJB member Rabs Hutchful ’07, such cases may result in a term of community service or disciplinary probation.

A student may appeal first to Public Safety Supervisor Paul Verrillo, then to the SJB if the student considers a fine unreasonable.

Meyer noted what he considers Public Safety’s greatest recent improvement regarding motor vehicles on campus.

”I think we’re just doing a better job of getting cars registered,“ he said.

Although mandatory, many students attempt to evade the $50 motor vehicle fee at the beginning of each academic year. During the past several years, the application of the boot to unregistered cars has countered these numbers.

”It’s my fault that I didn’t register,“ said Smith, whose car was booted by Public Safety in September until she registered it. ”Every time I’ve gotten a ticket, I’ve been at fault. I’m willing to accept the consequences of that.“