It looks as though the Nicolson 7 dormitory is the new front in the chalking controversy that has swept the campus of late. The personal and common doors of the sophomore hall retain chalk messages, jokes, and drawings—for which the University has charged residents a total of $1100 for vandalism. In addition, a quote from a Dave Chappelle skit containing a racial epithet was stenciled on the door of a Nic 7 RA, Benz Phichaphop ’08, eliciting intervention by WesDEF, the student diversity committee.

“Nic 7 residents are responsible,” Koerting said. “Only they can get in… and whether it was a guest or not, we hope that someone who saw it or heard something would tell.”

WesDEF has met with the hallway twice already after receiving ResLife’s encouragement. In the two meetings, the assembled group discussed community responsibility and why the words were offensive.

“I went to a bunch of WesDEF’s meetings and I completely respect what they do,” said Nick Mirsky ’09. “But this is ridiculous that they held a talk seminar over this.”

The residents of Nic 7, inspired and supplied by the Lightening Society, an underground cultural revival group, did their part in the return of chalking this past Homecoming/Family weekend by drawing and writing mostly tame messages, according to Phichaphop.

Although chalking on doors is not explicitly prohibited by University policy, maintenance showed up Saturday morning and charged the residents with a $700 dollar fine on the charge of vandalising seven common doors. The second and third floors also received $200 dollar fines each for similar violations.

The chalkings will be reviewed under the terms of the University’s graffiti policy.

“Graffiti on any surfaces using any medium is considered vandalism and is not allowed in student residences,” reads the policy. “A fine will be charged for each surface in a building that is vandalized in this matter.”

Phichaphop said that because of apparent policy contradictions concerning chalking on dormitory doors, administration should reconsider the fine that his residents received.

“We were not aware that chalking on certain doors as opposed to others was considered vandalism,” Phichaphop said.

Nor is the legality of chalking on private doors—doors to dorm rooms rather than to common spaces, for example—clear to all administrators.

“It’s a bit of a gray area,” Koerting said. “Students are allowed to decorate their own doors as long as they clean them at the end of the year.”

Associate Director of Facilities Management Jeff Miller agreed with Koerting.

“It’s an interesting question,” Miller said. “As long as there’s nothing offensive or physically damaging, people can decorate their door however they want, including chalking.”

However, Director of Media Relations Dave Pesci interpreted the policy differently.

“Although I have not seen a specific ruling on residence doors, the policy indicates that chalking is ‘prohibited on university buildings,’” Pesci said. “Being that residence doors are part of these buildings, I’m guessing they would be included.”

Students also question whether or not one is allowed to chalk on others students’ doors. Administrators did not display certainty on this point, either.

“They should probably use memo-boards if they’re going to write on other residents’ doors,” Koerting said.

Beyond confusion over policy matters, students expressed anger.

“It’s ridiculous because the cost of $100 per door is the cost of some one taking a wet paper towel and going like this,” Mirsky said, moving his left hand in a Mr. Miyagi-style circular motion.

It is not clear who specifically did the chalking in Nic 7, administrators and residents said, and residents will most likely have to share the fine unless those behind the act come forward.

Phichaphop, Miller, and Residential Life Area Coordinator Robin Hershkowitz are currently negotiating a deal.

“The billing is on hold, pending work that Robin is doing with students on the floor,” Miller said. “She’s working with the students to clean it up themselves. We might have an adjusted payment plan in the works that reduces or even eliminates the bill.”