Matt O’Connell ’09 is a rising star on the Wesleyan men’s tennis team. Compiling a 5-1 doubles record and 2-0 record at sixth singles in his freshman year, Matt proved he was a capable force for the team and stepped up to the third singles and first doubles spots this fall. This past week I spoke with Matt about his fall season, his off-court interests, and how he motivates himself each day.

TD: Where do you think your game is right now compared with the beginning of the year?

MO: At the end the season I felt like I was playing at the top of my game. I had been practicing every day since the beginning of school and that consistent work has helped me see my own improvements and meet my goals. I see myself as a player with a strong serve and an attacking game.

TD: What could you see yourself improving in the coming season?

MO: I need to work on my baseline consistency and on approaching deeper and wider.

TD: Whatever that means. Did the fall season go well for you personally?

MO: I feel like I played pretty well this season at #3 singles. Tallen [Todorovich ’07] and I were playing #1 doubles so the teams we were playing were extremely talented. Even though my doubles record wasn’t very impressive, we were playing well together and some matches we lost, we definitely should have won.

TD: Any memorable moments for you this fall?

MO: I was really happy about my singles win at MIT (winning in three sets 3-6, 6-4, 10-6) because the kid I was playing was a good player. Also, my teammates were all rooting for me at the end of my match, which always boosts a player’s confidence.

TD: What is your supreme motivation when you step on the court?

MO: My motivation just comes from me being competitive. I hate losing, but who doesn’t. Also, I’ve been playing tennis since I was seven or eight years-old so it has become very important to me that I do well. My dad was the one that started me on tennis; he gives me a lot of motivation to play well also.

TD: With tennis a large part of your life before Wesleyan, how much has it become a part of your college life?

MO: As a part of my life at Wesleyan, tennis is huge. I’m practicing from 4:15 to 6:15 p.m. every day so it takes up a lot of my time. Also, we have our weekend trips for away matches. The team is really close, we like to hang out with each other a lot when we’re off the court. The fact that the entire team is really good friends has made my athletic experience at college infinitely better.

TD: Other interests outside of Tennis?

MO: I really enjoy competitive video-gaming and squash with my housemates in 202 Washington St.

TD: Any weird pre-game rituals?

MO: I don’t really have a pre-match thingy, just kind of go out there and play.

TD: Based on your fall performance, how do you feel you will factor in to the team this coming spring?

MO: I really don’t know where I’m going to be playing. Our coach may mix things up a little, so who knows.