High prices at Weshop are not likely to drop anytime soon, but smaller, less expensive dining plans for upperclassmen may soon be a reality.

“Everyone is looking really closely to see what we can do with parts of the program we know students aren’t happy with,” said Senior Food Service Director Bridgett Stapleton. “Students love the Weshop selection, but they don’t always love the prices.”

One of the four available student dining plans, the 2,776-point plan (1,388 per semester), costs $3,732 per year, or $1.34 per point. Stapleton explained that the disparity between cash and points is due to a facility fee built into the student dining fee.

“[Weshop prices] are a little steep, but to be honest, the way points work, it’s not bad at all,” said Sam Cooper ’08. “It’s still overpriced, but Weshop makes the best sense if you have a kitchen.”

Counting one point as $1.34, a trip to Weshop for a 2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola, 64 oz. of Tropicana Berry Punch, Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts, Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain bars, Ritz crackers, Jiff peanut butter, Oreos, a gallon of two percent milk, and a roll of Scott’s toilet paper costs $42.50. Buying the same exact items at Stop & Shop costs $22.32. Buying these items, counting one point as one dollar, costs $31.61, still significantly higher than Stop & Shop.

“That’s something we continue to struggle with at Wesleyan,” Stapleton said. “We don’t have the purchasing power of Stop & Shop or Wal-Mart, and we only operate eight months out of the year. We can’t compete, and I don’t think we ever will be able to.”

Stapleton said that the high cost of organic foods, student-requested cage free eggs, and labor drive up costs as well.

“We have the cost of labor, which is much different than the retail market,” she said. “There are a lot of dining locations, a lot of management, and a lot of other factors that trickle down to prices on campus.”

Students and dining workers are aware of these factors.

“[Weshop] is way more expensive than Stop & Shop, but I’ve heard that the workers get paid more comparable wages,” said Anna Schmidt ’07. “And it’s a small scale.”

“Our prices are higher because we can’t buy as much,” said Sharon, an employee of Weshop. “We pay more than places like Stop & Shop. It’s a convenience store. In every town in America, convenience store prices are higher.”

This year, students were required to choose from four dining plans. The most expensive cost $4,692 per year, and the other three were priced at $3,732 per year. The most expensive meal plan allots students 14 meals each week and 576 points per year, while the other three allow for 12 meals and 356 points, 5 meals and 1,726 points, or 2,776 points.

Although Wesleyan lags behind some peer schools, including Williams College, in offering less expensive plans for upperclassmen, Wesleyan dining prices are, in general, comparable to prices at peer schools.

“We’re competitive,” Stapleton said. “When the University and Aramark decide on the rates, they’re very cognizant of what other schools are charging.”

According to the Williams College dining services site, five dining plans are offered to students. The most expensive plan costs $4,410 per year, and the least expensive dining plan costs $545 per year. The $545 plan is for graduate students, students living off campus, and co-op students. It includes a block of 50 meals. The second least expensive dining plan costs $1,794 per year and allows for five meals per week. This plan is available to seniors and co-op students.

Stapleton says students could see a more cost-effective dining plan that distinguishes between different class years in the near future. She describes a plan similar to that of the housing progression, where students start out in dorms, but finish their time at the University in woodframe houses with stoves. Smaller and less expensive dining plans may soon be an option for upperclassmen, who currently cannot opt out of a dining plan to pursue less expensive alternatives.

“This is something that is being looked at very seriously,” she said. “There could be potential changes within a few years.”