Despite scoring the game’s only touchdown, the football team dropped its season opener to Middlebury on Saturday, 10-7. After falling behind 4-0 early after two safeties, Wesleyan responded with a touchdown off a gadget play to take the lead in the third quarter.

Unfortunately, that was all the success that the offense would have on the day, as two Middlebury field goals in the second half sent the Cardinals to their 11th consecutive defeat, dating back to November of 2004.

The Cardinal defense provided consistent play throughout the day, as it didn’t allow a touchdown for the first time since October 2002. Quincy Francis ’06 led the Cardinals with 17 tackles, while Brian Valerio ’07 and Tim O’Callaghan ’08 each added 14 tackles in the defeat.

“We fought hard but we just didn’t make enough plays to win the game,” Francis said. “It went down to the wire, so there some positives to take from it, but when you lose a close game like this it really stings.”

Middlebury got on the board first after the Middlebury punter, Steve Hauschka, pinned the Cardinals at their own eight-yard line. On the first play of the ensuing drive, Zach Librizzi ’07 was sacked in his own end zone by Kevin Ryan ’07 for a safety.

After the Panthers got the ball back on the safety punt, their offense was forced to punt again. Hauschka successfully pinned the Cardinals again, this time at their own one-yard line. After a run for no gain by Librizzi, Phil Banks ’07 was tackled for a loss in his own end zone by Alex Buggy ’07 for the game’s second safety in just over three minutes. The two safeties were the only scores acquired in the first half, as the Panthers took a 4-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

After the Cardinal defense once again forced the Panthers to punt on their first drive of the second half, the offense started off the second half in sync. Beginning at their own 33-yard line, a run by Banks and two runs by Librizzi gave the Cardinals a first down near midfield. On first and ten from their own 45-yard line, Librizzi connected with Matt Barnum ’06 for 22 yards to the Middlebury 33-yard line.

On the very next play, Librizzi swung the ball out to Barnum who then turned and threw downfield to Danny Granatell ’10 for a 33-yard touchdown pass. After a successful extra point by Chris Helsel ’09, the Cardinals led 7-4.

The Cardinals looked like they were heading in the right direction when Jeff McLaren ’06 intercepted Tiger Lyon’s pass on Middlebury’s next drive. Unfortunately the Cardinals were unable to move the ball against the Panthers and were forced to punt. Both teams were held scoreless for the remainder of the third.

After a fourth-quarter Cardinal drive stalled at the Middlebury 21-yard line, the Panthers took over and drove the ball 77 yards on 10 plays for a game tying field goal, tying the game at 7.

On the ensuing drive by the Cardinals, Librizzi had his pass intercepted at the Middlebury 32-yard line. The Panthers subsequently moved the ball 55 yards in 11 plays to set up a 23-yard field goal for their kicker. Hauschka converted on the kick, and Middlebury took the lead 10-7.

Despite moving the ball 51 yards on their next drive, the Cardinals were unable to tie the game. Middlebury then ran out the clock and held on for a 10-7 victory.

Wesleyan was led on offense by Librizzi, who finished with 159 yards passing to go along with 31 yards on the ground. Mark Noonan ’08 and Barnum had four catches each. Middlebury was led by Stefan Hrdina who rushed for 139 yards on 32 carries.

“We’re looking forward to a good week of practice and taking it out on Hamilton this weekend at home,” Francis said.

The Cardinals will look to notch their first victory of the season in their home opener vs. Hamilton College on Saturday, Sept. 30 at 12:30 p.m.