Argus NFL Expert Brian Valerio previews the NFL Season in a four part series. In the first of four articles, Valerio takes a look at the top teams in the AFC East and AFC North.

AFC East:

1. Miami Dolphins: After the Dolphins’ strong finish last season, in which they won six games in a row, anything less than a playoff appearance will be a disappointment. The ‘Fins made an off-season splash with their trade for Daunte Culpepper, who should provide them with much-needed quarterback stability. The Dolphins have substantial offensive firepower with second year running back Ronnie Brown, Pro Bowl receiver Chris Chambers, and tight end Randy McMichael. Miami has a very favorable schedule early in the year and could easily have a 5-2 record when they hit their bye in week eight.

2. New England Patriots: It’s difficult to pick against the Patriots with the success they’ve had in recent years, but this is not going to be their year. The team has gotten old all at once and they have minimal depth. While there is no question about Brady’s ability, there are significant concerns about his receivers. His top receiving threats will be tight ends Ben Watson and Daniel Graham. October is going to be a critical month for the Pats. If they can win three of four games against Cincinnati, Miami, Buffalo, and Minnesota, they will make the playoffs.

3. Buffalo Bills: Look for the Bills’ struggles to continue this season. J.P. Losman has yet to emerge as the quality starting quarterback the Bills thought he was when they drafted him in 2004. The offense is led by running back Willis McGahee, who posted his second solid season in 2005. The talented linebacker corps of Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell, along with Pro Bowl cornerback Nate Clements lead the defense.

4. New York Jets: Wesleyan Alum Eric Mangini ’94 has the challenge of rebuilding the Jets. If Chad Pennington is able to stay healthy and regain his form of 2004, the Jets will be much improved from last year.

AFC North:

1. Cincinnati Bengals: With a difficult off-season in which several players got into trouble with the law, the Bengals are hoping the start of the season will put an end to their off-field incidents. Carson Palmer leads a high-powered offense that includes All-Pro receiver Chad Johnson and bruising running back Rudi Johnson. This is the most talented QB, RB, WR trio in the NFL. The Bengals scored the second most points per game in the AFC last season (26.3). For the Bengals to take the next step and get to the Super Bowl, their defense will need to improve on its performance from last season. The defense should be improved with the free agent signings of monster defensive tackle Sam Adams, strong safety Dexter Jackson, and the return of free safety Madieu Williams.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers begin their title defense without starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and emotional leader Jerome Bettis. Roethlisberger was minutes away from death after a motorcycle accident on June 12, and he most recently had an appendectomy on Sept. 3. The defense, led by playmaking safety Troy Polamalu, should be dominant once again this season. Joey Porter and James Farrior anchor one of the best linebacker corps in the AFC. The play of the defense will determine their success this season.

3. Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens have become a popular pick to make the playoffs, but their aging roster will keep them out of the postseason this year. If the Ravens struggle again this season, it could spell the end of Brian Billick’s tenure in Baltimore.

4. Cleveland Browns: The Browns should improve in their second year under Romeo Crennel. The defense kept Cleveland in games last year, and the offense should be much improved with the return of Kellen Winslow II and Braylon Edwards.