After an embarrassing 2005 campaign, the worst in Wesleyan football history, the Cardinals will look to improve on their 0-8 record from a year ago. With 36 lettermen back, including 17 starters, the Cards should be more solid this year.

Quarterback Zach Librizzi ’08 will look to continue the success he experienced last season, in which he lead the NESCAC in total offense.

“Both sides of the ball are looking very good this year,” Librizzi said. “ The experience of 17 starters returning from last year helps a lot. Look for football to put up lots of wins this year”.

Despite their 0-8 record, the Cards played respectably in several of the games last season. With more experience on both sides of the ball, Wesleyan can only improve after last year’s debacle. With a new defensive coordinator and defensive juggernaut Shem Johnston-Bloom joining the coaching staff after a stellar Wesleyan career, the defense will look to build on their success of a year ago. Tri-captain Jeff McLaren returns for his final year of eligibility, as do the two leading tacklers from a year ago, Tim O’Callaghan ’08 (67 tackles), and Quincy Francis ’06 (61 tackles, second team All-NESCAC). Other returning starters on defense are cornerback Kwasi Ansu ’09, linebacker Ethan Picket ’09, defensive backs Brian Valerio ’07 and Steve Secundo ’07, defensive end John Harding ’09, and tackle Tom Addonizio ’08.

“The defense is new and improved under new coaches and working hard towards being one of the elite defenses in the NESCAC,” Addonizio said.

On offense, Librizzi’s top targets from 2005, Mark Noonan ’08 (41 catches, 428 yards) and Blake Curry ’07 (30 catches 275 yards, 5 TDs) are both back for the 2006 campaign. Tri-Captain Phil Banks ’07 (81 carries for 225 yards) and Garth Mitchell ’08 (24 carries for 70 yards) will carry the load out of the backfield for the Cards. Tri-Captain Corey Baker ’07 returns and will help solidify the offensive line.

McLaren hopes that the magic from the 2006 Men’s Lacrosse team, which made it to the NCAA final four with McLaren as a starting defensive midfielder, will rub off on his football teammates.

“I think we have the ability to surprise a lot of teams this year,” McLaren said. “Everyone has shown serious commitment to making this year a better year and our focus is to win. We have a good core of returning players ready to lead the team on both sides of the ball, and we are looking to make a statement in the NESCAC this season.”

The Cardinals begin their 2006 season this weekend with a scrimmage against perennial NECAC and national powerhouse Trinity College. In their regular season meeting last season, the Cards were pummeled by Trinity 63-7.

The regular season opener is Saturday, Sept. 23 at Middlebury College.