When Mike Moody ’10, found out that he was going to be living in a temporary triple this year, he felt uneasy about his future living situation.

“I found out by e-mail a few weeks before summer ended,” Moody said. “I was upset and disappointed. I didn’t know how big the room was going to be and how much I would be able to bring.”

Moody, along with 65 other freshmen, is living in a temporary triple due to the housing crunch on campus this semester.

Although squeezing three people into a double has been a challenge, getting to know an extra person has been an added benefit.

“I didn’t think [the forced triple] is that bad,” Reilly Park ’10, said. “It’s an extra person, so there’s always someone around.”

Moody felt similarly.

“It’s been fine so far,” he said. “It’s nice to know an extra person, but it has also been cramped.”

Moody and other students in temporary triples complained about problems due to a lack of power outlets. Since the rooms are only meant for two people their electronic accessories, it has been difficult to fit three computers and extra electronics into the rooms. Others have complained about the difficultly of accessing the top bunk in the triples.

“For me to get into my bed, I have to step on my roommate’s bed and then on my fridge,” Moody said.

Though many students currently living in temporary triples are satisfied with their living assignment at the moment, they do not know what to expect during the year, with the added rigors of school.

“Classes have just started so it’ll be a big difference,” Moody said. “We’re not in summer camp anymore.”

Freshmen, however, are not the only students on campus affected by the current housing situation. Twenty-four sophomores were not notified of their living assignments until late in the summer, and were placed in houses on Washington Street, a considerable distance from the Foss Hill dorms.

“I was pretty frustrated with the housing situation, because I ended up living somewhere pretty far away from the center of campus and many people I knew,” said Sophie Pollitt-Cohen ’09 who lives in 344 Washington St. “I love the house; it’s beautiful,” Pollitt-Cohen said. “I’m with really nice people, and there’s a kitchen.”

My Nguyen ’09, whose housing group was ranked 510 out of 522, also ended up living in a nicer house than she expected to. Though Nguyen is satisfied now, the housing uncertainty caused a lot of frustration during the summer months.

“Throughout the summer I had gotten several e-mails from [the University] saying the same thing: ‘Sorry, we still haven’t found you housing,’” Nguyen said. “It actually affected my summer. I became increasingly worried during the summer that I was not only going to have to live in a horrible place, but I would also be far away from my friends.”

According to Director of Residential Life Fran Koerting, students dealt with the housing crunch quite well.

“The students were extremely patient and understanding, particularly once we were able to ascertain the cause of the situation and communicate it to them, along with the measures we were taking to address it,” Koerting said. “I know it was a long, frustrating experience for them.”