You know the big room in Olin where everyone studies? With the beautiful high ceilings, huge windows with views of Andrus field and the nice wooden tables? The one where there are always lots of people working?

Have you noticed that there are plans to turn it into a computer lab? Next time you’re over by the Reference Desk in Olin, take a look at that sign they have posted about expanding the Information Commons. The next phase of expansion involves taking away the nice wooden tables and replacing them with a bunch of computers.

I know that it can be hard to find computers when you need them, and that more computers would be convenient, but I’m sure there are other places for them to go. If they must go in the library, put them on the second floor or in the basement. That big room in Olin is too pretty and too well-used in its current form to turn into just another computer lab. Computers are definitely a crucial part of a lot of our homework, but students still need places to study that aren’t completely computer-focused.

So if you don’t like the idea of the library turning into one big computer lab, say something about it. There are comment cards for the Information Commons at the Reference desk, so when you need a break from studying during reading and exam weeks, fill one out and tell the folks in charge that you don’t want the IC to take over the library. Or email the university librarian, Barbara Jones, at bjones01@wesleyan.edu and tell her what you think.