With an applicant pool of over 7240, the University has admitted 1950 students for the prospective class of 2010, with 720 expected to matriculate this fall.

“We’re looking for a high level of academic ability, looking for a real curiosity and a broad-based interest in learning…students who are going to study across the curriculum,” said Senior Associate Dean of Admission Gregory Pyke. “We’re looking for the diversity of background and experience that makes this the community it is.”

The number of applicants increased, with five percent more applications than last year. The University offered admission to about 150 more students. With a similar target class size compared to last year, this means the University plans to accept fewer students from the waiting list.

“We admitted a large number from the waiting list last year,” Pyke said. “This year we wanted to go back to admitting more students from the mailing list.”

Early Decision admittance was also more selective this year. While about 290 students were admitted early both this year and last, only about 600 students applied Early Decision last year, while there were 670 applicants for the class of 2010.

More than one-third of the students offered admission are students of color who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Five percent are international students, and 71 percent hail from outside New England. According to Pyke, these statistics reflect some of the types of diversity that catche the admissions office’s eye. In addition, 14 percent of admitted students are the first generation in their families to go to college, and about eight percent of students speak a first language other than English.

Although WesFest is meant to attract several of these admitted students, it is only one component of the Admission Office’s attempt to engage applicants.

“We begin recruiting the admitted students even before all of the letters go out,” Pyke said. “There’s a small group of students [a few hundred] who are so strong that we mail their letters out in March because we want them to make plans to visit in the month of April. We know they are sought after.”

Throughout April, the Admissions Office encourages current students to come into the office to make telephone calls in the evening to talk to admitted students. They also ask faculty members, especially in the science and math departments, to contact students interested in those areas.

“Faculty contact is an important way to win over students,” Pyke said.

The Admissions Office also asks alumni and currently enrolled international students to help.

Along with these efforts, WesFest weekend remains the largest single event geared toward recruiting accepted students. Admitted students arrived at the University as early as Thursday morning to begin their visiting weekend.

“I really like the campus,” said Younggee Choi, of Long Island, N.Y. “I also like how it’s really diverse. At most other colleges, it’s ‘cliqued’ by ethnic groups, but here everyone just sits together.”

“I like the way that it’s a small community and the way that people here get along and support each others’ education, the accessibility to the professors and teachers, and getting the help that you need,” said Diego Garcia of East Palo Alto, Calif.