The men’s wrestling team spent the winter break competing in ten different matches and tournaments. The team went 4-4 in matches and placed 12 of 15 in the Ursinus tournament on Jan. 14 and and seven of eight at the New England College Conference Wrestling Assocation (NECCWA) Duals on Jan. 22. Notable opponents in the head-on matches were Rhode Island College, Roger Williams University, and the Coast Guard Academy.

The focus of the break was a firm commitment to individual and team success. Despite finishing below .500 overall during the break, the squad received several top performances from a few key standout athletes. At the Ursinus Tournament, Mike Lima ’08 posted a record of 4-0 and placed first in the 197 pound weight class. At the North South Individuals on Jan. 7, Josh Wildes ’08 (133 lb. weight class) posted a 5-0 record facing Oneonta, McDaniel, Johns Hopkins, York and Trinity. 174-pounder Jeremy Stuart ’08 finished the month of January strong, as he strung together three consecutive hard-fought wins against Coast Guard, Southern Maine and Johnson and Wales. 174-pound captain Chris Robichaud, a graduate student, recorded a stellar 3-1 record at the NECCWA Duals. These standouts anchored a solid, young 2005-06 team during winter break.

“Our class contributed and led well over the last month,” said Tomi Uyehara ’08. “We are a fierce group against any opponent and have a range of weights in our class which helped bring success across the board.”

Having built a solid base of competitive success during the break, the team looks to hit its stride during its upcoming matches. With only four matches left and the NECCWA Championships looming large on Feb. 18, winning now is of utmost importance. The NECCWA is the group which decides and posts the individual and team rankings for wrestling Divisions I through III. The association also hosts the championships for each division, as this year’s Division III championships will be held at Wesleyan’s Freeman Athletic Center. The contest will feature top teams such as Springfield College, Roger Williams University and Norwich College.

The team travels to Worchester Polytechnic Institute on Feb. 2 and Williams, Oneonta State and Western New England in dual meets on Feb. 4. A week without any contests is followed by the NECCWA sub-varsity championships on Feb. 12 at Springfield College and the aforementioned Championships on Feb. 18.

The team already knows that the success of its season relies greatly on its success at the NECCWA Championships, as the Cards can still muster a winning record with a victory there. With several standout individuals determined to finish off the season on a positive note, the Cardinals hope to come out on top and show the true talent of this year’s wrestling squad.

“We have done well enough to be in a position to go out on a high note,” said Jeremy Stuart ’08. “We just have to focus and keep working.”