Just one year ago, the future of 88.1 FM WESU was uncertain. Since then, the station has reorganized its board of directors, integrated National Public Radio (NPR) programming without completely abandoning its “Free Form” roots, and hired a full-time General Manager.

This week, the station’s notable turnaround is exemplified by its first ever on-air pledge drive. With a goal of $20,000, the move is the station’s first step towards becoming a self-sustaining entity.

“The money we raise will go right into our accounts,” said WESU Treasurer Josh Nathan-Kazis ’07. “It’s an optimistic figure, but we’re really counting on, and confident in, listener support.”

In announcing the drive, WESU General Manager Ben Michael echoed the call to listeners.

“The station has taken colossal steps forward in the past year,” he said. “If we are to continue to move towards our goals and mature as a station, we need to cultivate listener support.”

WESU, the second-oldest known college radio station in the country, had been funded solely by the University since 1948. Last year, the University announced that it would no longer be able to fully subsidize the station, citing cost-cutting measures across the general budget. After much discussion, and considerable controversy, it was decided that NPR programming from WSHU Fairfield would be added to the station’s schedule.

The station currently receives a cut from WSHU’s NPR pledge drives and WSA funding. Still, rising costs combined with the diminished funding have left the station with a growing deficit.

“Though [General Manager Ben Michael] is technically paid through the University, we are responsible for making his salary,” said WESU President Evan Simko-Bednarski ’07. “The General Manager position is essential, because having someone here on a constant basis provides continuity for the station.”

While he feels that the restructuring has allowed WESU to reconnect with its roots, Simko-Bednarski said that some changes the station has made to support itself have violated its commitment to the community,

“The reformed board has eliminated the positions for [non-Wesleyan] community members, when these people make up about half of our staff,” he said.

Simko-Bednarski argues that the drive, in conjunction with an underwriting campaign in which local businesses will “sponsor” programming much in the way corporations fund public television programming, will allow the station to be fully self-sustaining.

“If we’re able to make more money, we will be able to free ourselves of NPR,” Simko-Bednarski said. “The contact with WSHU comes up for review on an annual basis, and we hope to scale back the NPR programming hours each year as we become able to sustain ourselves financially.”

Simko-Bednarski sees continual listener support as the best way to shape the station’s future.

“We’re hoping that in the long run the station can function as a creative center for the community, combining music and politics through community activists and local musicians,” he said. “We have some great bands on campus! We should have them on the air. If this works out, it will all be possible. We’re in the position to have the best WESU in 20 years.”

To donate to the WESU Pledge Drive, call the station at 860-685-7700 anytime between now and Dec. 11 or download a pledge form from the station’s website at www.WESUFM.org.