When you’re majoring in a department as large as English, a sense of community can be hard to find.

Frustrated with what one student called “an intellectually isolating” experience, the founders of Wesleyan Critical Review, Wesleyan’s first scholarly journal of student literary criticism, hope to facilitate a community of peers, in and out of the classroom.

“As it stands, we write papers, our professors write on our papers, then we file them away or throw them out,” said Bronwyn Wallace ’06. “The short life of the work we do on literature is discouraging for those of us who would like to be part of an intellectually charged venue in which student ideas have more validity than so many comments in a classroom discussion.”

The journal is the brainchild of Laura Goldblatt ’06, who was inspired while studying abroad at Oxford. Oxford has a literary journal similar to the Wesleyan’s history journal, “Historical Narratives”. To begin recruiting for the publication, Wallace sent out an email to all departments dealing with literature, asking professors to recommend talented, motivated students.

“I went to the first meeting to see what it was about and it seemed like a great idea,” said Maria Pia Gekas ’09.

Although many students on the editorial board are English majors, they hope the journal will appeal to students from all disciplines. And as far as English majors are concerned, they would love to include criticisms that don’t pertain to Anglophone literature.

“I would love to see it become an intellectually open journal with edgy scholarship that does not necessarily adhere to a style or singular characteristic,” said Sam Han ’06. “The great thing about starting a publication is getting to see where it goes eventually. Though I may have certain aspirations for it, I just hope that people will read it and be stimulated.”

For others, the journal’s appeal is simpler: give students a place to put their hard work on display.

“I hope that the journal will serve to expose students to their peers’ critical essays, in the same way that other publications provide students with a broader audience for their creative work,” said Andrew Inchiosa ’07.

Much of the staff’s current work has centered on recruiting and discussing what the standards for submissions will be. The publication is still seeking submissions of any length greater than five pages, which should be sent to lgoldblatt@wesleyan.edu.

Aside from an email account, staff members have availed themselves of Blackboard and will pursue other resources in the form of WSA funding and guidance from professors.

“We haven’t put out the first issue yet, but I predict that our WSA photocopying privileges will be used, or abused, to the fullest extent possible,” said Emily Wang ’08.

There is still much to be worked out with the new publication, including layout and design, although the journal will likely resemble other scholarly journals in this regard. The prevailing sentiment among the staff members, particularly the seniors, is excitement at the prospect of leaving something behind.

“It’s nice to start something new and to think that other Wesleyan students will be working on it after I graduate,” said Kadie D’Ambrosio ’06.