The football team finished its 2005 campaign winless after falling to undefeated NESCAC champion Trinity College 63-7 on Saturday afternoon. The 0-8 finish is the worst season in Wesleyan football history. This is the first time since 1894 that a team finished without a win. They went 0-5 that season.

The high-powered Bantams scored three quick touchdowns to put the game out of reach early. A nice touchdown pass from Zach Canter ’07 to Blake Curry ’07 moved Wesleyan within only two scores of Trinity at the end of the first quarter, but that was as close as it got. Trinity’s offense was flawless for the entire game and they racked up a total of 571 yards as opposed to the Wesleyan’s meager 117 yards. The Bantams dominated every aspect of the game. They had 24 first downs as compared to the Cardinals’ 6.

Trinity was lead by quarterback Josh Pitcher. The senior completed 14 of 17 passes for 306 yards and 4 touchdowns, while throwing 0 interceptions. They featured a balanced running game where they had four runners with at least 40 yards during the game. Wesleyan was led by quarterback Canter, who finished with 89 yards passing and a touchdown. The highlight of the Wesleyan offense on the day was a beautiful 59-yard completion from Canter to senior wide receiver Andrew Booker.

Despite the disappointing season, the Cardinals have several things to be proud of. Earlier in the week, Jeff McClaren ’06 and Zach Librizzi ’08 were both named CoSIDA/ESPN the Magazine District I Academic All-Americans for their fine play this season both on and off the field. Both players will go on to the national ballot with a shot at Academic All-America. Librizzi also leads the NESCAC in offensive yards per game, averaging 195.2 yards during the season. Another bright spot for the Wesleyan offense was the punting by AJ Taucher ’08.

Despite the winless season, the Wesleyan football team has a high outlook for next season. In many of their losses, they were in the game until one or two costly plays turned the game completely in their opponents’ favor. With more consistent play on both sides of the ball, the Cardinals would have enjoyed much more success this season.

A very talented core of young players gives the upcoming season even more potential for success. Librizzi, who started all eight games at quarterback, is only a sophomore, and will work hard to become a more efficient passer to go along with his strong arm and ability to run with the ball. Kwasi Ansu ’09, the only freshman starter for most of the season, will return still yearning for his first collegiate football victory. Mark Noonan ’08, Garth Mitchell ’08, and Tim O’Callaghan ’08 are also talented underclassmen who will return even better next season.

If the Cardinals can be more consistent on offense and defense and continue to get strong play from the immensely talented underclassmen, football at Wesleyan could have a bright future.