The football team lost its seventh straight game on Saturday, falling 29-6 to Williams on the Cardinal’s Homecoming/Family Weekend.

While the Cardinals finally managed to limit offensive turnovers, it was a very porous defense and an offense unable to convert in key situations that did them in.

“The effort was there and we played well both on offense and defense,” said Assistant Coach John Raba. “There were a lot of guys who stepped up and made some plays. The special teams was the deciding factor in this game. If we won that aspect of the game I think we could’ve won this game.”

The loss drops Wesleyan to 0-7 on the season, with their final game of the season coming this Saturday against undefeated NESCAC-leader Trinity.

The high energy and excitement from the Wesleyan players was quickly deflated when Elijah Weeks returned the opening kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown. After a successful extra point, Williams grabbed a 7-0 lead only 16 seconds into the game.

After a three-and-out by Wesleyan and a long drive that ended in a missed field goal by Williams, Wesleyan got the ball back, starting at their own 20-yard line and the Cardinals looked to even the score. Quarterback Zach Librizzi ’08 methodically moved the team down the field with completions to several of his receivers and with some solid runs. The Cardinals moved the ball all the way down to the Williams’s 9-yard line and had a first-and-goal. But a pair of incomplete passes left the Cardinals in a tough spot. On third and goal from the nine, Librizzi connected with Blake Curry ’07, but the Eph defenders managed to corral Curry on the one. On fourth and goal, the Cardinals gave it to Phil Banks ’07, but the back was unable to punch it in and a 13-play 79-yard drive stalled at their opponent’s one-yard line.

Williams took over possession from there and their offense responded quickly. They moved the ball 89 yards in 7:34 all the way to the Wesleyan 10-yard line. The Cardinal defense then shut down the Ephs offense, forcing them to settle for a 22-yard field goal by kicker Brendan Fulmer ’07.

Wesleyan finally got on the scoreboard towards the end of the first half. Librizzi once again led a balanced offense from their own 19-yard line down to the Williams’ 16. However, after Librizzi was sacked on a key third down with two yards to go, the Cardinals had to settle for a field goal. Chris Helsel ’09 converted on the 33-yard attempt, and Wesleyan now trailed 10-3.

Unfortunately, Williams once again responded quickly to Wesleyan’s offensive surge. After starting the ensuing drive from their own 34-yard line, they drove 66 yards in a little over a minute, and capped the drive with a 37-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Sean Gleeson to wide receiver Brendan Fulmer. Fulmer then converted the extra point, and the Ephs extended their lead to 17-3.

Despite being down, Wesleyan would not give up. On the following drive, Librizzi led the offense 70 yards in just over a minute with several completed passes. The drive was finished with a 16-yard touchdown pass from Librizzi to Curry. After an unsuccessful extra point, Wesleyan went into halftime trailing Williams 17-9.

The second half featured no offense from Wesleyan. Midway through the third quarter, Williams extended their lead to 26-9 on a team safety and a 17-yard touchdown run by Weeks that capped off a 74-yard drive.

The game ended with Williams on top, 26-9.

Despite the loss, Librizzi had a very productive game. The NESCAC leader in passing yards per game completed 25 of 53 passes for 232 yards and a touchdown. He also led the team with 32 yards rushing. For the Ephs, Fulmer, who had 100 yards receiving and a touchdown, led Williams. The Willams quarterbacks combined for 257 yards and a touchdown while completing 18 of 28 passes.

Wesleyan travels to Trinity (7-0) Saturday in their final game of the season. They will have to play almost flawless football in order to be competitive against one of the best teams in Division III.