Long Lane Farm celebrated Pumpkinfest, its second annual fall festival, on Saturday afternoon. Students, faculty, staff, and members of the Middletown community enjoyed a vegetarian barbeque, live music, face painting, and a bike ride were just some of the attractions enjoyed.

“[Pumpkinfest] serves to celebrate the harvest, and to spread the message of the importance of organic farming,” said Barry Chernoff, professor of environmental studies and faculty advisor to the Long Lane student farming group.

Pumpkinfest was initiated to raise awareness about organic and sustainable farming and environmental issues, as well as to spark interest in the student farming group itself. Long Lane Farm was started in the spring of 2004, when the University allocated an acre of land to a student group that was working in a garden on Washington Street since 2001. Besides the student contingent of over twenty, the group relies on faculty and community members to support its small but growing cause.

The environmental studies department contributed money for apple cider and veggie burgers at Pumpkinfest, and Ryan O’Rourke, owner of O’Rourke’s Diner in Middletown, donated baked goods for a bake sale.

“We’ve gotten a lot of community support,” said Grace Lesser ’08, who helped organize Pumpkinfest. “A lot more people have come this year.”

The event is not a formal fundraiser, but all proceeds from it go directly back to the farm, helping to fund various projects undertaken by the group throughout the year. The organic and sustainable farming issues that the group advocates are more important than funding, and the Long Lane farming group works within the community-supported agriculture framework to try to emphasize the connection between where food comes from and where it goes.

“[The farm] is a net loss in terms of money,” Chernoff said.

One of Pumpkinfest’s intentions was to involve Middletown residents, as well as members of the University. Flyers were posted throughout the town alerting locals of this special celebration.

“There are a lot of Middletown families, and they’re looking to buy shares [in Long Lane Farm],” said Becca Rabison ’08, a member of Long Lane farming group who was staffing one of the tables.

Many of the young children in attendance enjoyed pumpkin decorating. The older crowd was treated to music by a student folk/soul band and Chernoff’s own band, Busted Flowers.

During a break in the concert, members of the Long Lane farming group handed out awards and offered thanks to those who had helped the farm thrive over the summer. While the farm is not in operation over the winter, the student group meets often to discuss issues such as which seeds to buy and what projects to undertake for the upcoming spring.

“[Pumpkinfest] is great,” said Professor of Biology Stephen Devoto. “What this does to bring together students, faculty, and members of the community is incredible,”

Pumpkinfest brought out many students who would not otherwise visit the farm.

“This is my first time out [to Long Lane Farm],” said Ian Carbone ’06. “I think Pumpkinfest is awesome.”