The Nicolson, Hewitt, and West College dormitories will be extensively renovated beginning next summer with plans to improve fire safety and redesign the buildings’ interiors.

The Foss Hill renovations, unveiled last spring by Interim Dean of the College Peter Patton, are the final product of a project design committee with an estimated $6.7 million budget. Residential Life (ResLife), Physical Plant, and Construction Services make up the core of the project design committee.

Although standard maintenance to the buildings’ exteriors will still take place, the key focus of the upcoming renovations is on the interior of the dorms. Improved sprinklers and fire alarm systems are scheduled for installation as fire safety is given the highest priority.

“Right now we have a wish list, so once we get through the essentials we’ll have to see what we can do to improve the students’ quality of life,” said Director of ResLife Fran Koerting.

The renovations aim to enhance the general atmosphere and comfort of the dorms, according to Koerting. These improvements include new carpeting, increased lighting, painting, and a WesCard access system so that students no longer have to carry a building key in addition to an individual room key. Also on the agenda is the construction of student kitchens and lounges, specifically a study lounge and combination kitchen-and-program space in Nicolson 5, and a program lounge in Hewitt 8.

“Things that need to be added or fixed are kitchens, laundry facilities, sprinkler systems, lighting, and cable, although not necessarily in that order,” said Latia Miller ’07, a Resident Advisor in Hewitt 8. “And let’s not forget cable!”

Construction is not scheduled to begin until May, and the University is still in the design phase of the renovations. Contract bidding and the material buyout process will not begin until next year. However, once this is done, the designated contractors will immediately begin surveying the Foss Hill dorms so renovations can begin as soon as students leave for the summer.

Rob Schmidt, project manager for the PMG Construction Company under Physical Plant, explained the University’s community participation plan, which promotes the hiring of contractors, workers, and vendors within 25 miles of campus. Schmidt was also involved in the planning and building of the Fauver Field dorms.

“Each year we renovate a large percentage of the existing housing inventory, in addition to new construction,” he said. “For example, Lo Rise interiors were renovated this summer. Also, the construction of Fauver Field Residences will provide a new water main to supply the new fire suppression system.”

Other long-term ResLife plans include getting rid of the two-person efficiency suites in Hi Rise and developing more senior housing options.

“Ideally, we would have just prototypes, like the ones near the Freeman Athletic Center,” Koerting said. “We have renovated some of the wood frame houses over the summer, but they are incredibly expensive to maintain.”

The renovation of the Foss Hill dormitories and senior house construction are two of many components of improving residences on campus.

“We work very hard to provide high-quality, durable housing with high-quality furnishing,” Schmidt said.