MEN’S SOCCER

Men’s soccer lost six starters, including four all-NESCAC players, to graduation last spring and the goalie position is up for grabs among three inexperienced sophomores. But the team could not be more confident about their upcoming season.

“We expect to have a strong season, and by strong season, I mean win the NESCAC,” Co-Captain Kevin Lohela ’06 said. “Finishing in the top three or four in the conference in the semi-finals like we have the past few years is getting old, and the whole team is ready to step up and change that.”

Lohela and Co-Captain Noah Issacs ’06 lead a very young but talented squad into 2005. Returning are leading scorers Brandon Smith ’08 and Jared Ashe ’07 along with defensive stoppers Chris Keeler ’07 and David Baharestani ’07. The soccer net, though, remains the wild card due to the graduation of star goalie Dan Penrod ’05.

“All three sophomores [competing for the goalie spot] are very talented,” Lohela said. “I expect one will emerge as a starter fairly early in the season. But, again, the fact that several players are competing for the starting position will raise their level of play. Penrod certainly was a defensive pillar in goal, but he graduated and sold his sorry life to Lehman Brothers.”

Lohela expects competition all over the field to prepare the Cardinals for a tough NESCAC season.

“We are exactly where we want to be right now, with talented players competing for every spot on the field,” he said. “With a solid recruiting class coming in and 18 plus returning players, our expectations are higher than ever.”

Sophomore back Zach Schechter-Steinberg ’08 agreed.

“I think we have a very talented group of players which should make for great competition within the team and also against the rest of the league,” he said. “Hopefully we can win the league and get another home play off game.”

The soccer team begins their season with a noon showdown against traditional powerhouse Williams on Saturday, Sept. 10.

FOOTBALL

A football team without a quarterback might be in trouble. Luckily for the Wesleyan faithful, the Cardinals have two in Zach Canter ’07 and Zach Librizzi ’08. The man getting the start in the season opener, however, has yet to be determined.

Canter began last season at the helm and has his legendary comeback against Hamilton on his resume. In that game, Canter completed 32 of 77 passes, throwing for a NESCAC record 437 yards. The Cardinals snatched a victory 41-35.

Librizzi, meanwhile, took over for Canter later in the 2004 campaign. In the then-freshman’s first start, Librizzi took down Bowdoin on 24 of 41 passing, including four scores.

Still the big question remains: Who will take the snaps for the Cardinals this fall?

“At the QB position your guess is as good as mine,” Tri-Captain Shem Johnston-Bloom ’06 said. “Two-year captain does not equal coach. But, they both have very good qualities and we will be a very good football team regardless of who the starter is. The team knows both guys can play and we have confidence in both.”

While the signal caller position might still be up for grabs, Wesleyan looks strong with a core of returning players.

“I am really excited about the upcoming season,” Johnston-Bloom said. “We have 17 starters coming back and experience at every position. Last year we went through some growing pains because a lot of guys were playing for the first time but we will not have those issues this year. I am expecting really big things from our team this year.”

Johnston-Bloom himself anchors the very strong Cardinal defense. The four-year starter on the defensive line was a second team all-NESCAC selection last year. But he highlighted other defensive stars, underlining the team’s depth.

“Tri-Captain Jeff Mclaren [’06] led the league in interceptions and Quincy Francis [’06] led the team in tackles,” he said.

On the offensive side of the ball, the two-headed rushing attack of Phil Banks ’07 and Garth Mitchell ’08 return. Last year the pair combined for 7 rushing TDs, while Banks led the team with 441 yards.

Whoever wins the QB battle will have a few sure hands to throw to this year.

“We expect big things from our returning receiver core of Blake Curry, Matt Barnum and Andrew Brooker,” Johnston-Bloom said.

The Tri-Captain continued, “I hope people will come out and see us because we are going to be really exciting to watch. We will be vastly improved from last season.”

The football squad looks to show off its improvements when they open their season Saturday, Sept. 24 against Tufts at Andrus Field.

VOLLEYBALL

The volleyball team begins the 2005 season hoping to improve on their solid, if not spectacular, 13-15 mark last year. They will have to do it without last year’s captain Rebecca Mintz ’05—sort of.

While Mintz will not be taking the court for the Cardinals, she has signed on as a student coach for her former squad.

In the Argus last November, after her final game for the Cardinals, Mintz said, “I see nothing but success in the future for this team. I am really excited by the leadership qualities of the seniors for next year. Everyone has shown the capability that they are able to step up and take the leadership role on this team.”

The Cardinals look to middle hitter Erin Reding ’06 and outside hitter Tory Molnar ’07 to lead the squad and the two should be up to the task. Reding led the NESCAC in aces per game and was second in blocks. Molnar, meanwhile, drew accolades for her performance in Wesleyan’s final regular season game of ’04. The then sophomore racked up 30 digs in one three-match game against Colby. On the season, Molnar was fourth in the NESCAC 4.82 digs-a-game.

The volleyball team will begin their season against Eastern Nazarene College in the Johnson and Wales tournament on Friday, Sept. 9.

CROSS-COUNTRY

After finishing one spot shy of earning a trip to Nationals last fall, the men’s cross-country hopes to improve on their fifth-place finish at the New England Regionals. Currently ranked 18th in the country in a preseason poll, the team hopes to win the NESCAC Championship, which will be held at Wesleyan for the first time in thirteen years.

Leading the Cardinals will be co-captains Wes Fuhrman and Owen Kiely ’06. Fuhrman, who returns as a grad student using his final season of eligibility, garnered All-America status last season at the NCAA Championships. Kiely also has Nationals experience, earning a trip last spring in the steeplechase. Alex Battaglino ’07 and Jon King ’07 will lead a talented squad fighting for the final five spots on the varsity team.

After qualifying for the NCAA Championships last year, the women’s cross-country team hopes to continue their success despite the loss of standout Courtney Quirin ’05.

Ellen Davis ’07 will lead a team that looks to rely on youth for the upcoming season. After an outstanding winter season, Davis earned All-America status in the 5,000 meters last year. In addition, senior captain Erin Smith, who broke the school record in the 10,000 meters last spring will also provide leadership for the team.

The teams open their season with the Alumni Run at home on Saturday, Sept. 10, and will have their first shot at NESCAC competition at the Tufts Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 24 in Grafton, Massachusetts.

FIELD HOCKEY

After finishing last season with a record-setting 11-3 record, the field hockey team is reloaded and ready for NESCAC dominance in 2005. Despite the loss of standouts Jenn Wasserman ’05 and Louisa Mook ’05, who combined for twenty-four goals last season, the team returns Courtney Tetrault ’07 and Molly Adams ’08, who will provide offensive power for the Cardinal’s.

The team also returns a solid core of seniors including Alex Pfeiffer, Alex Lowery, and Caitlin Thompson who hope to provide leadership for the team. The defense will be anchored by two-year starter Caitlin Kelly ’07, but will feel the loss of All-NESCAC standout Ashley Cecchinato ’05.

The Cardinals have a challenging road ahead this season with contests against perennial p