Arizona Diamondbacks: A big story in the off-season was the trade of Randy Johnson to the Yankees for Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey, the expected fifth starter. After starting the 2004 season 10-5 and making the All-Star team, Vazquez struggled down the stretch and pitched himself out of the rotation. A return to a less pressured environment should help him regain the form he displayed in Montreal. The rest of the rotation looks decent. Brandon Webb went just 7-16 last year, but he posted a 3.59 ERA in 208 frames. Russ Ortiz has had an ERA under 4.00 in each of the last four seasons, tallying 21 wins in 2003, but has struggled with control. On offense, newly-signed 3B Troy Glaus is capable of hitting around 40 homers per year. The former World Series MVP and home run champ has missed significant time due to injuries the last few years, but had a promising spring hitting .424 and driving in 33 runs. Acquired from the Dodgers in the off-season, Shawn Green represents a second strong addition, bringing a solid glove in RF and the promise of 40-homer power. Luis Gonzalez and Chad Tracy remain staples in the Arizona lineup, but whether the bats can produce enough runs for the retooled rotation remains a question.

Colorado Rockies: Runs are always guaranteed in the thin air of Coors Field. Gold glove 1B Todd Helton leads this offense as last year’s runner-up for the batting title, and Preston Wilson will return to center after an injury-marred season, immensely improving the outfield defense. Matt Holliday will drive in men and 2B Aaron Miles looks like a superstar in the making.

Unfortunately, the pitching staff is scary, and I don’t mean scary good. Jason Jennings, 25, uses a nasty sinker effectively, and could be the kind of guy who is built for Coors. In his career, he’s 23-13, but needs to stop falling in love with his slider. For Opening Day, lefthander Joe Kennedy, a Devil Ray’s castoff, will start. He went 9-7 last season and posted an unfathomable 3.66 ERA in home games at Coors Field. Last year’s closer, Shawn Chacón, returns to the pen hoping to improve on last years 7.11 ERA in relief. It is doubtful this team will improve very much.

Los Angeles Dodgers: After winning the NL West, the Dodgers let their leading sluggers, Adrian Beltre and Shawn Green, leave town. In hopes of replacing Green, they acquired injury-prone J. D. Drew who spent last year with the Braves. Drew stayed healthy in 2004, hitting over .300 with 31 bombs and 93 RBI, and can play excellent defense in right if he stays off the DL. Jeff Kent takes over at second, bringing power numbers to the middle infield, and SS Cesar Izturis has cemented himself in the lineup as a premier defensive player and leadoff man. The pitching staff has retooled too. The Dodgers’ Opening Day starter will be 2004 playoff hero Derek Lowe. Pitching in Dodger Stadium should help his ERA, which reached as high as 5.42 last year, but which Lowe will show? Will it be the 2002 All-Star starter who won 20 for Boston or last season’s model? It’s a risk. So is Jeff Weaver, a righty who’s always had the arsenal to be a 20-game winner, but a mental makeup that has often prevented him from achieving. The real ace of the staff is probably Odalis Perez, who had a 3.25 ERA last year, but went just 7-6 due to the league’s worst run support. Once the bullpen comes out, it’s Game Over. That’s what signs read all over the park when Eric Gagne takes the mound, but he will start the year on the DL due to a sprained right elbow, so it will be interesting to see how the Dodgers adapt. Unless the offense comes through, which is doubtful in this park, the Dodgers won’t repeat.

San Diego Padres: Few expected this squad to go 87-75 after 2003’s 66-98 disaster, but the Padres are primed to take the West this year- and maybe more. Last year’s lineup lacked speed, but their new leadoff man, CF Dave Roberts has now legendary speed after he set off a Red Sox rally in game 4 of the ALCS with a timely steal. Brian Giles and 1B Phil Nevin should drive Roberts home, but it’s the young guns that make this team exciting. Rookie of the Year runner-up Khalil Greene was a Web Gem-a-minute shortstop who hit well in the second half. Another youngster, 3B Sean Burroughs, should begin to display the power stroke that has long been expected of him. The real strength of this squad is pitching. Despite leading the NL in ERA at 2.27, Jake Peavy will not start on Opening Day. That honor falls to 38-year-old Woody Williams, a Cardinal last year. Peavy and third starter Adam Eaton should be stars in San Diego for years to come. In the bullpen, opposing batters often hear Hell’s Bells. When they do, it means one thing: Trevor Hoffman and his nasty changeup are in the game. Soon afterwards, the ninth inning is over.

San Francisco Giants: The Giants were the trendy favorites to win the West until about three weeks ago when four-time defending MVP and noted steroid user Barry Bonds announced he will miss significant time to start the season. This forces Michael Tucker into leftfield for the time being. He will provide better defense than the slowing Bonds, but no one can replace 232 free passes and 45 homers. Moises Alou will sure try though. Playing for his father again, he should be able to repeat the .293, 39, 106 campaign he had in Chicago last year. The Giants have one of baseball’s best starters in Jason Schmidt, who went 18-7 with a 3.20 ERA, including 251 Ks in just 225 innings last year. Schmidt was a front runner for the NL CY Young before he pulled his groin in Montreal. Schmidt is healthy again and ready to terrorize opposing batters with his high heat and Johnson-esque slider. Behind him is Kirk Rueter and Bret Tomko. Several prospects have huge potential, headlined by Noah Lowry and Jerome Williams. After Robb Nen retired due to failed recovery from elbow surgery, the Giants signed Armando Benitez to be their new closer. He looked fabulous with the Marlins last season, converting 47 of 51 save opportunities. The Giants still have the talent to win the West, but their chances are tied to Bonds returning to the lineup and Schmidt stepping up.