Here’s the West, a three-way race to the playoffs. The distance between third and fourth could exceed that between first and third.

Anaheim Angels: New owner Arte Moreno’s promise to open the checkbook last year paid off. Signing outfielder Vladimir Guerrero from Montreal put him in the national spotlight and he thrived, destroying American League pitching and running away with the MVP while his team hurdled over Oakland for the division crown. The strong Angels lineup includes former utility player Chone Figgins, who has a home at second for now, but could move back to third once Adam Kennedy is healthy. Newly acquired Steve Finley, still a brilliant defensive player as he approaches 40, will man center. Left fielder Garrett Anderson should have a productive season as well.

The pitching staff should have its moments as the top three of Bartolo Colón, Kelvim Escobar and Jarrod Washburn have immense talent and still have time to harness it. However, while Colón won 18 games last year, he posted a 5.01 ERA, suggesting his victories were the result of great run support. He stands just 5′ 11“ but his weight reached 250 pounds, and that had a negative effect on his fastball, which used to be in the high 90s. Escobar was 11-12, but he lacked run support, which hides the fact his power stuff put him with the best in the league in ERA (3.93), strikeouts, opponents’ batting average and strikeouts per nine innings. The bullpen, led by Francisco Rodriguez, should be excellent. If the team holds up, another division title lies within arm’s reach.

Oakland Athletics: The A’s were once the class of the small-town teams, but that changed this off-season after coming up just short in the West. GM Billy Beane broke up the team’s vaunted Big Three starters, dealing both Tim Hudson (Atlanta) and Mark Mulder (St. Louis). That leaves 2002 Cy Young winner Barry Zito, who finished 2004 at 11-11 with a 4.48 ERA, the highest of his career. He needs to rediscover his essence because the rest of the rotation is very young. The best of the young guns is 23-year-old Rich Harden. He has a strong arm that tends to gain velocity during the game and opponents hit .242 against him last year. Watch out for Joe Blanton, Dan Meyer and Danny Haren, the last being acquired from Atlanta in the Hudson deal. Octavio Dotel will close.

The A’s made a nice signing in catcher Jason Kendall. He has excellent doubles power and works the count. Kendall improved defensively last year and has a good arm, but the real bashers in the lineup are Eric Chavez and Erubiel Durazo. Chavez broke his hand last June, but he matched his 2003 homer total in fewer at-bats. He has become a 30-35 bomb kind of guy and is a regular Gold Glove winner at third. 2004 Rookie of the Year Bobby Crosby provides back-of-the-order power and a steady glove at short. Whether or not the youngsters can step up will determine the team’s final record.

Seattle Mariners: Last year was supposed to be better. It’s not a good sign when Ichiro Suzuki breaks the MLB record for hits in a season (262) but scores just 101 runs. The 698 Seattle runs were last in the AL as they limped to a 63-99 record, so they’ve revamped themselves and replaced manager Bob Melvin with Mike Hargrove. The M’s signed third baseman Adrian Beltre and first sacker Richie Sexson to help drive home Ichiro. Beltre, 25, had a breakout year with the Dodgers last season, slamming 48 homers—tops in the NL—and batted .334, despite playing much of the year with bone spurs. Sexson spent last season in Arizona but he hurt his shoulder early in the year. When healthy, the 6′ 8” Sexson has massive power, and his height gives him good range in the field. Seattle still has Bret Boone to drive in a few runs, too. Don’t expect Ichiro to break his own record, but he’s a lock for 200+ hits, 30 stolen bases, and Gold Glove defense in right, highlighted by a powerful arm

The staff hasn’t changed much, and 41-year old Jamie Moyer headlines the rotation. The changeup artist went just 7-13 after winning 21 games in 2003. He needs to cut down on the 44 bombs he surrendered last year and act as a mentor to young guns Gil Meche and Joel Piñiero, whose numbers fell off last year. “Everyday” Eddie Guardado should continue as a stabilizer in the bullpen, and the Mariners should rebound nicely from last year’s debacle, perhaps contending.

Texas Rangers: Nobody expected this team to go 89-73 last year. Trading 2003 MVP Alex Rodriguez for second baseman Alfonso Soriano paid off in cutting costs and creating a more versatile team, as the Rangers scored 860 runs, fourth in the AL. Power is present throughout the lineup, and it starts at the top with shortstop Michael Young. He was the only regular to bat .300, and he did it with power, driving in 99 runs while making the All-Star team. After A-Rod left, Young volunteered to move from second to short. He did well and is now the team leader. Third baseman Hank Blalock and 1B Mark Teixeira had strong seasons, each driving in over 110 runs and hitting 30+ homers. Both are fine defensive players who have adjusted their swings to take advantage of the short porch in right at The Ballpark. Expect strong-armed rightfielder Richard Hidalgo to rebound from recent struggles at the plate. At his best, he can hit .300 with power to the opposite field.

Ageless ace Kenny Rogers won 18 games and pitched in the All-Star Game despite a 4.76 ERA. He has good instincts in the field and won a Gold Glove last year. Keep an eye on Chan Ho Park too. He could make a comeback. Closer Francisco Cordero had 49 saves and posted a 2.13 ERA by unleashing his hard fastball and an excellent slider that kept hitters guessing. Another young reliever to watch is Frank Francisco, assuming he’s acquitted of misdemeanor assault charges for his actions in a Sept. 13 brawl with A’s fans. The right-hander throws in the high 90s and has a good splitter. Last season may have been a fluke, but if it wasn’t, the starting rotation still must prove it can keep the ball down, and the lineup needs to hit for a higher average than last year’s .266, which was tenth in the American League.