The WesCard off-campus access program, also know as Middletown Cash, has not been as popular among students as the University originally anticipated. To date, there are 66 participants in the program who have collectively deposited just under $21,000, according to Manny Cunard, Director of Auxiliary Operations and Campus Services.

Despite the low student support, Cunard said the program is promising.
“Response to the overall WesCard program has been very positive,” Cunard said. “The new technology is much more efficient and flexible and allows for many more functions on campus to be controlled through the student ID.”

Seventeen off-campus merchants currently accept Middletown Cash, and Cunard said he believes that as more services are added to the WesCard program, the value of a Middletown Cash account will increase significantly.

“We continue to solicit Middletown businesses to add diversity to the available options and are in the final stages of adding important services on campus,” Cunard said.

He added that the Campus Laundry Services will be on the card as of December and selected vending locations are expected to be accessible when students return from winter break.

“We are also working on copy machines located in the library as well as printers throughout campus,” Cunard said.

Some students remain skeptical that putting money into Middletown Cash will benefit them.

“If I have cash, what’s the point of putting it on a card that will limit the places I can spend it,” said Oliver Bazinet ’07.
A disadvantage of the program is that the card currently has no cash withdrawal option due to state and federal banking laws, according to Cunard.

Sally Rosen ’08, who has funds in the Middletown Cash program, rarely uses the cash off-campus, except at Japanica II.

“I mostly use the Middletown Cash in place of regular points on campus which is fine,” she said.

Cunard said that the University is currently in the process of soliciting new merchants, particularly those who will add new non-dining options to the program.

Business owners involved in the program claim that they are unsatisfied with the low student participation.
Rose Aresco, Giuseppe’s owner, said that the Middletown Cash program has not been beneficial to her business.

“Only 2 or 3 students have used it so far since September,” she said. “I am willing to participate as long as students will use it and it’s up to Wesleyan to advertise the program better in order to keep businesses. I think eventually it will catch up, but right now it’s not worth the cost.”

Aresco has been on a three-month trial basis of the system during which she has not had to pay to be included in the program. She said that she has not decided whether or not she will pay once her trial period is over in a few weeks.

The owner of Typhoon Restaurant, Sarinee (Tata) Trisub, said that she has always done whatever she can for the Wesleyan community, including becoming involved in the program.

“I opted to join [the Middletown cash program] because ‘why not?’” she said. “We consider ourselves a part of the Wesleyan community so we are willing to continue using the program despite the fact that to rent the card machine costs a lot.”

“We are hopeful that the spring semester will see a significant increase in participation level,” Cunard said. “It is obvious from the comments to date, that we need to move ahead with adding on-campus options such as laundry service access as soon as possible to insure that the program continues to be a valuable service to students.”