Last Friday morning a panel of University Board of Trustees responded to concerns of students at a meeting in PAC 001. Campus expenses and lack of communication between students and administrators were among expressed concerned.

“Wesleyan isn’t so good at accommodating people without a lot of money,” said Matt Montesano ’05. “There’s a significant financial bracket that’s above qualification for financial aid but well below the level of comfort to spend all this money, for example, on books each semester that can run up to $200. And paying $1600 to feed one person for four months is absur—orcing them to do it is painful.”

Andy Sampson ’08 explained to the panel of trustees that he will probably have to take a bus back home to the Midwest instead of a plane because his professor will not allow him to take his final early, preventing him from getting a cheaper flight home, since the cost of flights increase closer to the peak of the holiday season.

Regarding affordability of campus housing, Anda Greeney ’07 said that instead of paying $6,000 for campus housing, he pays only $3,000 living off-campus.

“The decision to revoke off-campus housing next year puts my attendance in jeopardy, as I will need to come up with an additional $3,000,” Greeney said.

The trustees noted the students’ aggravationss, among them the purported lack of transparency between the students and the Administration.

“It seems that there are two views, one held by students, the other by Administration – students for chalking and gender neutral and progressive thinking and the Administration for painting over bathroom walls and college rankings,” said Nikhil Melnechuk ’07.

“Over the summer, the Administration arbitrarily altered the gender neutral housing program in a fashion that makes it no longer the same,” said Bryan Brotman ’07.

Lilly Dagdigian ’08, one of the four freshmen who was switched in order to maintain same-sex rooms, was present at the meeting and told her story before the trustees.

Other issues of concern included reportedly diminishing spaces for students to gather, notably the loss of Art House. Students also asked the trustees about the future of the Long Lane Farm, ensuring that Wesleyan buildings are environmentally friendly, and the future of Wesleyan’s radio station, WESU.

“The radio station isn’t going anywhere,” said Trustee George Ring in response to Melnechuk, who was under the impression that the University was planning to sell it to a National Public Radio affiliate.

Trustees present at the meeting included Mike McKenna, Josh Bogart, Shola Olatoye, George Ring and Kofi Appenteng.

Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA) President Emily Polak ’05 responded to an open question from the trustee panel about the effectiveness of the student government.

“[The WSA] has an effective role in creating dialogue, although we may not always affect change,” Polak said. “We’ve seen an increase in how seriously our voice is taken.”

Marianne Calnen, Director of Board Relations, organized the meeting of trustees and students, called “Office Hour with the Trustees”.

“I don’t think it’s the appropriate role for the trustee to weigh in on every issue,” Appenteng said after the meeting. “It’s our responsibility to attract quality students and faculty.”

“I made an effort to be here,” Ring said. “I always enjoy interacting with students, hearing what they have to say. And we’re all part of the Wesleyan family—some students may feel like they’re the forgotten stepdaughter, the Cinderella of the family, but we’re here to listen.”

On Friday evening, a handful of students met with Trustee David Siegel, who was recently elected to the Board of Trustees and was presented to the board by the Progressive Alumni Network. Siegel spoke with students about activist issues.

“I think the meeting was successful only if the trustees take proactive steps to address student concerns, if they pressure the Administration to follow the reaccreditation panel’s advice,” Montesano said. “We know that the trustees’ job is to take care of the business side of the University, but if they value the life of Wesleyan students, they should also take it upon themselves to advocate for students’ interests.“