Dean of the College Freddye Hill resigned from her position on Wednesday, Oct. 22 and continues to decline to comment on the specific circumstances surrounding her unexpected leave. She agreed to speak on her tenure at the University and tentative plans for the future.

According to Hill and President Douglas Bennet, the Office of the Dean of College is currently under review.

Vice President Peter Patton will serve as interim dean. Senior Associate Provost and Dean of Continuing Studies Billy Weitzer, Director of Affirmative Action Kathryn Friedman and Dean of Student Services Michael Whaley are working with Patton to manage the day-to-day operation of the Dean’s Office.

Patton also served as interim dean in 1997-98 prior to Hill’s appointment by a search committee.

According to Bennet, a national search for a permanent successor will be launched this winter.

“We are going to take a look at if it is one job or two,” Bennet said. “We need to have a good answer to that so that [the position] doesn’t overwhelm. Peter Patton is fulfilling everything [Hill] did and he’s doing it with the support she didn’t have.”

Hill said she had hoped to establish a discourse meant to encourage more members of the community to share their ideas prior to her resignation. She said that too often during past forums and organized gatherings, the same student voices would control the direction of the meeting.

“We need to make safe spaces for these kinds of voices; certain perspectives are truncated because the discourse is dominated by a few perspectives and voices who, to some extent, frame discussions, debates and issues,” she said.

Hill also expressed a desire to see improvements made to the Honor Code and the Code of Non-Academic Conduct.

“I had many goals,” Hill said. “One that I did not achieve was to develop dialogues about diversity at Wesleyan in the 21st century. I also regret that I was not able to implement the recommendations from the task force on the Honor Code and the Code of Non-Academic Conduct, which, in my view, are critical to strengthening the sense of community as well as personal accountability and responsibility.”

Prior to her arrival at the University, Hill spent eight years at Haverford College—four as associate dean of the college and director of minority affairs and four as dean of the college.

“I learned the true meaning of trust as an essential element in a learning community,” Hill said. “By this I mean, I learned that in order to fully participate in the life of a community, you must trust those around you, even when you disagree with their views and beliefs.”

She returned to Spelman College, her alma mater, and assumed the position of vice president for student affairs for four years, followed by a six-year term as academic dean.

“At Spelman, I had the opportunity to collaborate with others to strengthen the curriculum, improve the campus environment, and learn a lot about leadership from one of America’s great educators and leaders: Johnnetta B. Cole,” Hill said.

Hill left Spelman, with Wesleyan as a potential location for her next move.

“I was attracted to Wesleyan because of the statement about liberal learning. I believe learning and education are liberating and empowering,” she said. “The statement about liberal learning resonated with my beliefs, and I said, ‘Oh yes, this is a learning community I would like to join.’”

According to surveys tracking student satisfaction with education and campus experiences since 1995, there has been an overall steady increase in student satisfaction with their education, co-curricular activities and campus climate.

“Wesleyan is not a perfect place, but it keeps getting better as measured by data from surveys, the consistent increase in the retention rate, and, in my view, the overall level of student engagement inside and outside the classroom,” Hill said.

Hill plans to remain at her on campus residence at least until the end of the end of June 2004.

“I see myself as an educator, and I enjoy the type of work that I have done,” she said. “I am taking time to reflect and decide what I would like to do in the future.”

Hill said she hopes she will be remembered for her contributions toward strengthening the sense of community, improving the campus environment, generating trust and mutual respect between students and the administration and helping to affirm community standards, specifically through contributions to the Honor Code and the Code of Non-Academic Conduct.

“I have learned a lot during my tenure as dean of the college,” she said. “One of the most important lessons was learning to listen carefully and critically to different opinions and beliefs. I have also learned a great deal about other cultures and experiences. I believe I am a better person because of my experiences and interaction with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.”

She will also be remembered for her work with student to organizations and student governance, especially with the WSA.

“I enjoyed working with a cross-section of people from every division in the University,” Hill said. “I felt comfortable with the way things were going, and I believe the administration, faculty, staff and students will continue to solve problems and take advantage of opportunities that will improve Wesleyan and student experiences.”