While most of the Wesleyan students were relaxing at home over fall break, the mens’ soccer team gave the Amherst Jeffs a run for their money. Unfortunately, it ended up in a loss in overtime leaving the Cards 5-5 overall (3-3 NESCAC).

The Cards were evenly matched with the Jeffs throughout the entire game. While the Cardinal midfield and defense worked well together to hold off the offense, Jared Ashe ’07 and Peter Glidden ’07 tried to break down the Amherst defense. Midfielder Kevin Lohela ’06 was doing an effective job of working the left side and as a result, created many opportunities for his teammates to score.

In the second half the Cards were outplayed. They made a quick comeback and began to challenge Amherst once again. With about ten minutes left in the game and the score still tied 0-0, Evan Bissell ’05 got the ball to Nick Vincent ’04 who took over and put scored. Unfortunately, the celebration came to a halt when the linesman waved his flag. The goal was called back and the game went into overtime.

Not even a full minute into OT, the Jeffs showed their determination to win the game. With a breakdown of Wesleyan defense, Amherst put the scored, and this goal wasn’t called back. The game ended with the Cards frustrated and the Jeffs victorious.

As the rest of the students arrived back on campus on Tuesday, the team was at it again, this time in a battle against Tufts University. Although both teams’ play was sporadic, Tufts managed to pull out one more goal than the Cards leaving Wesleyan with another heartbreaking loss and a 2-1 deficit, leaving their current record at 5-6 overall (3-4 NESCAC).

The game began with a quick goal from the visiting squad that seemed to perk up the Cards and get them back on their toes. It was unfortunate that it took an early goal to do this, leaving the Cards in the frequent game of “catch-up” they know all too well. Wesleyan began taking better advantage of possession in the midfield and made some dangerous crosses off of corners. The tying goal came with eight seconds to go in the half when Mike Ryan ’05 found Tivon Sidorsky ’04 with a long ball, which Sidorsky put in the net with ease.

Both teams entered the second half with the determination to add a win to their record, but the Cards showed the most intensity. This led to Cardinal domination after the first ten minutes, and Wes managed to keep the ball in the Jumbos’ end for the next 35 minutes. Opportunities were created only to just miss the net such as a combo from Noah Isaacs ’05 and Vincent that just cleared the top of the Jumbos’ goal. Although the Cards out-shot Tufts 29-6, Tufts took advantage of its few opportunities, and in the 72nd minute bad communication by Wesleyan defense saw a goal deflected off a Cardinal and tapped in by a Jumbo. The Cards couldn’t recover this goal, and the game ended.

If Wesleyan wants to play in its home field in the playoffs, they need to win for the remainder of the regular season. This pattern that they have unfortunately fallen into of ‘dominated losses’ needs to be rearranged as the Cards enter the final stretch of their regular season. Wesleyan travels to rival Trinity this Saturday to play an important game in the Cardinals path to the playoffs.