c/o Jonathan Lester

c/o Jonathan Lester

In Play(er) of the Week, we seek to highlight Wesleyan athletes or parts of games that deserve extra attention. Milan Yorke ’25 is a member of the women’s golf team and was the first female golf athlete from Wesleyan to attend the NESCAC Championships last spring. The Argus sat down with her to talk about that experience and how her current season is going.

The Argus: Do you mind introducing yourself?

Milan Yorke: I’m Milan Yorke, and I’m a sophomore. My potential majors are neuroscience and psych with a minor in African American studies. I’m involved in SAAC, which is a student-athlete advisory committee. I’m also a peer health advocate. I’m a TA for 181 Bio. And I’m also in the EMT club here.

A: Wow. You’re really involved on campus. How do you balance all of that?

MY: I live through my planner. I plan meticulously, I mean, down to the hour. I love it. I used to do it in high school. I’m a creature of habit.

A: The golf program is fairly new, right?

MY: Yes, it’s a new program. It’s four years old.

A: What’s it been like, being in a new program?

MY: Not bad at all. Each year we bring in at least four freshmen, so our team is pretty big. This year we have about 10 actively rotating players with two on the practice team, so 12 altogether. And we have the men’s team too, which has been around for a long time. So it was cool being able to play golf with people and at the collegiate level.

A: When did you start playing?

MY: I was 10 years old when I started. I’ve been playing for nine years.

A: What’s that been like?

MY: It’s a lot. I initially started just because it was something I could play with my dad. I played every other sport. I played field hockey, tennis, basketball. My dad was like, “You need a sport, you can play with me.” I’m one of two children, and we’re both girls. So we both played golf. My sister’s four years older than me, so she was 14 at the time. Any program she was in, I was going to be in. I just kind of latched on to it and I really loved it.

A: What was it like for you competing at the NESCAC Championships?

MY: That was very interesting. I was conflicted. One, because I was by myself, so I wasn’t with my team, which I was used to. It’s just me and my coach and my parents. So it was like going back to high school collegiate golf. It was a lot, but it was really cool. I loved it. I got a lot of people coming up to me specifically because I’m also African American, so it was a huge thing for me to be representing Wesleyan as a Black female. It was the first time Wesleyan’s ever [sent a female golfer to the championships], which was really cool. Just being there was an accomplishment.

A: That’s awesome. How did you qualify for it?

MY: Qualifying was at Bowdoin. It was freezing, around 50 degrees. And we played two days of 18 holes. On the first day, I shot an 82 or something like that. I was competing with one of my close friends on Bowdoin who I met in my freshman year. We’d both been playing as the number one seed for our teams for a while. After eight weeks of the season, you start to get to know the people you play with.

I was super excited because I was playing with her both days and we had a blast the first day. She played well and our coaches did not tell us that we were in competition for the spot. I ended up shooting 78. And as I’m submitting my score, they were like, “Oh, what’d you play?” Everyone was huddled around me, it was a really big deal. And I was like, “I played well.” We’re all joking and laughing, and it’s freezing. So I was like, “Yeah, I’m ready to go home.” And they were like, “Oh, you’re going to the championships.” What I thought was, “Yeah, sure.” I played well, but not that well. I ended up out-playing her that day. It was really cool that I did it as a freshman too.

A: How does playing as an individual affect the sport for you?

MY: Golf being an individual sport has a huge effect. When other team sports go out, you play as a team, you win as a team and you lose as a team. For golf, it’s similar because it’s an aggregate score. However, your individual score affects the aggregate. You can’t really get away from that. You travel as a team, everyone stays together. We’re a pretty close-knit team.

A: Have you brought anything from that experience with you to this season?

MY: I think my mindset has changed. When I walked in as a freshman, I was so scared. I was like, “Oh my God. I can’t believe I made it. I can’t believe I’m playing collegiate golf.” Now I’m more confident in my play and who I am as a person. I feel more solidified. I have concrete friends, I know how my schedule’s working out. I’ve planned everything.

It’s still like 60% fun, 40% “this is what I have to do.” For sophomore year, I’m playing in a more comfortable feeling.

A: How has this season been going for the team so far?

MY: Not bad. We have great new freshmen. The team has four freshmen, four sophomores, and four juniors. It’s very level. Everyone is trying their best and putting in a lot of work in practice. We put up a great score at our home tournament where we ended up getting second, which is huge.

A: What has been most difficult about the season so far?

MY: Time management. I’m still trying to find my way around college and stuff like that. I feel like I know where I’m at, but I’m in so many different things and I want to get everything done. Golf has always been a priority for me, but so is education and being able to make everything I can out of the Wesleyan education I’ve been given. So having all these opportunities and being in all of these clubs, I’m always trying to juggle.

A: What are you looking forward to most as the season progresses?

MY: I’m looking forward to seeing what the freshmen are bringing to the team. I always love when you bring in new faces and everyone’s super excited. They were me last year, so I see myself in them. It’s really cool. I’m super excited to get to know the team. Golf is an individual sport and that can be lonely at times. [I’m excited] to have everyone come together as a team.

A: What is something you wish people knew about golf at Wesleyan?

MY: That it’s okay to come and watch us play. Most people don’t come and watch unless it’s the major leagues. We do play a home tournament sometimes, and it’s cool for people to come up and watch us and get that cheer on a little bit. We can’t be screaming like we do for football games. You can do a quick golf clap. You can support your team on the sidelines. If you ever feel like doing the trek, then it’s very cool.

A: Is there anything you want to leave me with before I wrap up?

MY: I feel like our team is growing, our program is growing, and I feel like as athletes, we’re all juggling multiple things and multiple dynamics of our lives. When you see [an athlete] be like, “Hey you’re doing good work.” If you see them in a game, just be like, “You got this.” Because everyone’s going through something and you just never know. So always be kind.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

If you would like to nominate a Play(er) of the Week, please reach out to cbonnevie@wesleyan.edu, ebyerly@wesleyan.edu, or eseaver@wesleyan.edu with either the athlete’s name and one sentence about why they deserve to be nominated, or the team, date of the game, and players involved, and the segment that you would like to highlight. 

Cameron Bonnevie can be reached at cbonnevie@wesleyan.edu.