c/o instagram.com/wes.well

c/o instagram.com/wes.well

WesWell, the University’s Office of Health Education, has launched a new initiative to create a smoke-free campus by 2022. The office has resources for students who are looking to quit smoking, ranging from individual plans to support groups. 

There is currently ongoing discussion with the WSA to raise awareness about this policy by better connecting with many organizations on this campus for feedback, as well as how to best support groups most likely to be impacted by this initiative,” WSA senator on the Student Life Committee Elizabeth Ouanemalay ’23 said. “To aid with this transition, we have already begun providing cessation kits and will hopefully be able to increase the number of staff personnel able to assist with this change for all Wesleyan community members, not limited to students—faculty, staff, etc.” 

The WSA has not yet passed legislation on this topic, but going forward, if the policy is passed, there will not be any punitive measures used to enforce the no-smoking policy.

“Going smoke-free by spring 2022 simply means that there will be an official policy prohibiting the use of tobacco, nicotine, and/or vape products on campus,” Ouanemalay said. “More than anything, this policy is meant to improve and ensure a healthy environment on the Wesleyan campus. We recognize that tobacco and smoking companies have historically targeted those of a lower socioeconomic status more disproportionately. This is why we do not plan to have any punitive measures in place. We acknowledge that smoking is an addiction and that any change of this magnitude will be very difficult, but we truly believe that we will grow together as a community.” 

Director of the Davison Health Center Joyce Walter echoed Ouanemalay’s sentiment. 

We do not want this project to be punitive, but supportive in nature,” Walter said. “This effort will be positive if we look at it from a community of care model that Wesleyan engages in for so many issues.”

While smoking can have harmful effects on health, many students who smoke believe they will not suffer from any detrimental side effects while in their youth.

Younger adults tend to think negative impacts will only happen when older if they continue to smoke or vape,” Walter said. “Students might not be aware that their smoking/vaping can have short term impacts as well, such as shortness of breath and cough. We often see these symptoms pop up in the Health Center with regular smoking and vaping.” 

For some, these health issues are an immediate wake-up call, but others may not realize they are struggling before it is too late. Walter pointed out that there are resources for students struggling with addiction. 

“Many people on campus want to quit, but don’t have the skills to be successful on their own,” Walter said. “Students might not be aware that we have trained tobacco treatment specialists in WesWell and the Health Center who are ready and able to help students and staff quit nicotine products for good.”

According to WesWell, a smoke-free campus by spring of 2022 would benefit students who are looking for a reason to quit, but also those who have expressed concerns about exposure to secondhand smoke. 

Adopting a policy such as this will help protect and promote the health of our community, now and for years to come,” WesWell Alcohol and Other Drug Specialist September Johnson said. “Policies such as this also protect and promote the health and well-being of those who choose not to use tobacco and nicotine products and those that do, while reducing health disparities. The supportive and educational approach Wesleyan is taking to this policy will help bolster our community of care and set us up for a healthier living, learning, and working environment.”

Molly Meyer can be reached at mkmeyer@wesleyan.edu.