Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, many students have not been able to visit and admire each other’s dorm rooms and houses. Thus, Assistant Arts & Culture Editor Talia Zitner ’23 created the series “Wesleyan, Welcome to My Crib” to showcase the creativity and ingenuity of student interior design. This week, Nicole Adabunu shares her luxurious, dreamy room in Pine Street wood frame.

c/o Nicole Adabunu

c/o Nicole Adabunu

I live on Pine St., and one day, when I was a junior, I decided that I wanted to upgrade my room, since my time at Wesleyan was coming to a close. I made the most impulsive decision of my life: to buy a canopy bed from Amazon. I built the entire thing and decorated it myself. After seeing a bunch of Tumblr inspiration posts with different types of flowers and hanging decorations that people use to ornament their canopy beds, I instantly wanted to create the same thing. 

Luckily for me, during my junior and senior year, I had enough closet storage space to fit my old Wesleyan bed frames and mattress in, and I have no one else but the gods to thank for that. My bedroom is my safe haven, and it really came in clutch this senior year, because I spend most of my time at home due to COVID-19. It brings me so much joy, to be able to lay here and pretend like I’m a princess, fresh off wake up. I also dog-sit as a side gig, and it makes for nice photoshoots with the puppies I watch. 

I decorated my canopy with lights and flowers, and on my walls, I taped wall decals of two women kissing and some Louis Vuitton-inspired stickers I got from Instagram. Listen, I’m not a fan of high-end brands or luxury, but sometimes a girl’s gotta live a little! If you’re reading this, treat yourself! Buy that bed frame! That poster! That whatever! 

Nicole Adabunu can be reached at nadabunu@wesleyan.edu