Joseph McKidd, Assistant Photo Editor

c/o Joseph McKidd, Assistant Photo Editor

Lighthouse and French Hall will be relocated next semester and Farm House and Full House are currently on probation, as a result of Undergraduate Residential Life Committee (URLC) program house assessments.

The URLC—comprised of representatives from the WSA, Residential Life, and Physical Plant—conducts program house evaluations every semester. Each house is assessed on six criteria: how effectively a house has completed their yearly lesson plans, the percentage of residents versus borders (students who were placed in the house after the recruitment process has not filled all the spaces), the performance of the House Manager (HM), number of community standards violations, engagement with their House Advisor, and the fulfillment of their Engagement Contract (a tool used to help residents support the mission of their house).

Lighthouse 

One of the major changes taking place is the relocation of Lighthouse, the program house dedicated to the discussion and practice of Christianity, to 73 Pearl Street from 210 Cross Street. In Fall 2019, the house—though not officially dissolved—was under-enrolled. Reverend Tracy Mehr-Muska, the University’s Protestant chaplain, who is very involved in the relocation explained the reason for this under-enrollment.

“In speaking with students about the under-enrollment, I primarily heard the criticism that the location was not convenient for students with friends, classes, and work commitments on the east side of campus,” Mehr-Muska wrote in an email to The Argus.  “I also heard from a smaller number of students that there was a perception that students who lived in Lighthouse had to adhere to certain lifestyle expectations or subscribe to a certain doctrinal understanding of Christianity.”

However, Mehr-Muska emphasized that Lighthouse hopes to be an inclusive space of collaboration, inclusion, and ecumenism. She also elaborated on the spirit and mission of the house. 

“There is too much division and polarization in this world, and we hope that this program house will be a place that celebrates the diversity on our campus related to theology, politics, race, ethnicity, nationality, ability, gender, sexuality, spirituality, socioeconomic status, and more,” Mehr-Muska wrote.  “Student leaders, Father Bill Wallace, and I are working closely to help inform the students that this program house will be a fun, comfortable, caring, convenient place to live for students who identify as Christian or anyone who is curious about Christian life and belief.”

Mehr-Muska explained that those involved in the decision were several students who are active in the Christian community on campus and have strong connections with other communities and organizations on and off campus such as the Resource Center, Malcolm X House, Wellbeing House, the North End Action Team. The final decision to relocate was made by leaders of the Christian groups on campus, which include Unity (a group for LGBTQ+ Christians), Wesleyan Christian Fellowship, Multicultural Campus Ministries, and the Catholic Student Organization.

Mehr-Muska believes the relocation will allow for collaboration on issues faced by the community and foster closer relationships between residents. 

“This new location on the eastern part of campus will better enable collaborations on a variety of issues including racial justice, wellbeing, and community service,” Mehr-Muska wrote. “It will also have fewer residents which will help foster a close-knit sense of community, and it has beautiful and functional shared spaces including a large sitting room, kitchen, and porch that will offer space for social, spiritual, and educational events and gatherings.”

Charissa Lee ’23, one of the student leaders actively involved with the revival, applied to serve as the house manager (HM) next semester. Echoing Mehr-Muska, she spoke about her vision for the house. 

“My vision for Lighthouse is that it will be a caring and supportive environment for Christian-identifying students and students interested in Christianity on campus,” Lee wrote. “I want people to feel at home at this new location and I want it to be a place where lifelong friendships are fostered.”

French Hall

French Hall will move to 210 Cross Street from the first floor of Nicolson 7. French Hall HM Jess Tran ’21 explained the reason for the relocation and how the decision was made.

“There’s been a demand for more residence hall spaces, so relocating French Hall from the ground-level of Nicolson 7 to a house is the logical move,” Tran wrote. “The move would also give French House its own space for community activities. The decision was made largely by Reslife [Office of Residential Life]. Given that it was a logical step to take, all current French Hall residents were on board as well.” 

To allow for more residents, the new house has four single rooms and four double rooms, culminating in a total of 12 rooms. Tran expressed that the program has always offered a space for those who are interested in French culture, and that this mission will remain the same with regular community activities.

Farm House and Full House

Alongside these major changes, Farm House and Full House have been on probation due to low numbers of residents. Houses are assessed each semester and scored out of 21 points, with a 16 or above placing them in good standing. Houses that fall below 16 points are put on probation and critically examined by the URLC regarding their potential for success and continued viability on campus. 

However, Area Coordinator for Program Housing and Apartments William Ollayos expressed enthusiasm about Farm House and Full House’s prospects in an email with The Argus.

“Program Housing for Spring 2020 saw a record number of mid-year applicants, with larger houses entering the Spring with more interested residents than in the Fall,” Ollayos wrote. “We are optimistic that both Full House and Farm House will successfully recruit new housemates and return to good standing for the Fall 2020 semester. Both houses are staples of the Wesleyan campus and we are confident that the student body will rally around them come application season.”

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Charissa Lee ’23 would serve as the HM for Lighthouse next year. She is one of three applicants that applied to the position, and ResLife has not selected an HM for Lighthouse yet.

Tanvi Punja can be reached at tpunja@wesleyan.edu.