c/o amazon.com

c/o amazon.com

Are you looking for something new to listen to? Your professors might be able to help. In this week’s Professors’ Playlist, four professors tell us what songs are in their current rotation.

Nadya Potemkina, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Music

During school year I primarily listen to music I am rehearsing or teaching. Recently added items include three Bach cantatas (performing with AD HOC BACH) and Michael Tilson Thomas’s interpretation of Mahler’s Symphony No. 5 (new to my collection, this purchase was inspired by a recent performance of the piece by Yale Philharmonia I had an opportunity to attend). Outside work, the last two “most played” jams include a two-volume collection of Russian Children’s Songs (from 1970s and 80s; a nostalgic fit) and the original Broadway cast recording of “Kinky Boots” (after seeing a fantastic regional theater production of the musical this summer—in Memphis, Tenn.).

Valeria López Fadul, Assistant Professor of History

This is a tough question to answer. I have been listening lately to a song called “Yo Voy Ganao” by a Colombian band called Systema Solar. Its bright and energetic, the song is basically about fishing and eating lunch.

Claire Grace, Assistant Professor of Art History

Austra’s “Painful Like.” It’s funny, sad, and creepy (as Katie Stelmanis says) all at once. And danceable.

Justin Peck, Assistant Professor of Government 

One song I’ve been listening to recently: “Not” by Big Thief. I’m not very sophisticated musically so it’s hard for me to describe in words why I like a song. The first time I heard it I got goosebumps. I’ve listened many times since.

Dani Smotrich-Barr can be reached at dsmotrichbar@wesleyan.edu.

Jane Herz can be reached at jherz@wesleyan.edu.