c/o theatlantic.com

c/o theatlantic.com

It’s hard to believe that our final round of September screenings is about to begin, which means that October is right around the corner. As coursework picks up and extracurriculars get a bit busier, we hope you’ll still set aside some time to take a break from papers and problem sets to watch a movie at the Film Series. 

This week our Hispanic film series continues with Argentine drama “Alanis,” which tells the story of three days in the life of a sex worker struggling to provide for her son. Our subsequent screening will be “Short Term 12,” which is based on the director Daniel Cretton’s own experience working in a group facility for teenagers. Be sure to stick around after the credits roll for a post-film open discussion on mental health, hosted by campus neuroscience group, the Basal Gang. Next up, we will be playing the Coen brothers’ classic, “The Big Lebowski,” a comedic crime caper set off by a case of mistaken identity. To finish off the week, we move to Japanese mystery “Rashomon” by acclaimed director Akira Kurosawa. 

“Alanis”

2017. Argentina. Dir: Anahí Berneri. With Sofía Gala Castiglione. 82 min.

Wednesday, Sept. 25. 8 p.m. Free.

A young mother and sex worker struggle to survive in an unforgiving neighborhood of Buenos Aires. As unforeseen circumstances pile on, her resolve is tested as she finds ways to earn enough money to support herself and her one-year-old son. Director Berneri’s fourth film digs deep into her own personal experiences and roots of growing up in Buenos Aires.

“Short Term 12”

2013. USA. Dir: Destin Daniel Cretton. With Brie Larson, Rami Malek. 96 min.

Thursday, Sept. 26. 8 p.m. Free.

Set in the world of at-risk teenage group homes, this slice-of-life drama follows supervisor Grace as her personal life and a relationship with her co-worker begin to encroach on her work responsibilities. Drawing from his own experiences working at a care center, Cretton’s grounded approach bolsters this indie classic, along with Larson’s breakout performance.

“The Big Lebowski”

1998. USA/UK. Dir. Joel Coen, Ethan Coen. With Jeff Bridges, John Goodman. 117 min

Friday, Sept. 27. 8 p.m. $5.

So you want to know about The Dude? The Dude may be the laziest man in Los Angeles County. When henchmen assault him in his home and pee on his beloved rug in a case of mistaken identity, he becomes entangled in a mixed-up plot including nihilists, porn stars, and a severed toe. Through it all, you can count on one thing: The Dude abides.

“Rashomon”

1950. Japan. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. With Toshirô Mifune, Machiko Kyô. 88 min.

Saturday, Sept. 28. 8 p.m. Free.

A samurai has just inexplicably died, and it is up to his wife, a bandit, a medium, a woodcutter, a priest, and a local commoner to solve this mystery. Kurosawa’s iconic jidaigeki story delves into and explores the fickleness of human deceit and contrasting perspectives through the lens of a local crime and a myriad of gripping characters. (CW: sexual assault)