mirrorland_album

c/o genius.com

It is no mystery that some of the best artists in the world die undiscovered. Getting your big break could boil down to meeting the right individual on the sidewalk outside your apartment on a Tuesday. No matter the amount of practice, some do not achieve stardom in the ever-shifting music world. However, EarthGang is not part of the unlucky majority.

Rappers Olu (Johnny Venus) and WowGr8 (Doctur Dot) comprise the dream team that is known as EarthGang, and on Sept. 6, 2019, they released their third studio album entitled Mirrorland. Aptly named, the album undertakes the goal of illustrating life in Atlanta, where they aim to find their place in the madness. Their discovery and beeline to A-list stardom has created a chasm between the two and their humble beginnings. Olu and WowGr8 beckon the listener into the fantasy world that is Atlanta, Georgia.

The pair of artists met in 2008, during a school trip, and consistently released music with a relatively underground status. That is, until 2017, when rapper J. Cole’s label Dreamville signed them. With their country twang and unique sound, the group has garnered much comparison to Atlanta legends like Andre 3000 and Big Boi (Outkast). While that comparison can be disputed, their unique style cannot. EarthGang has cemented themselves in the industry with their impressive rapping talents, attention to social inequality, and a knack for bringing eclectic beats to the table.

“La La Challenge”—the first track on Mirrorland—is a spectacular introduction. Utilizing an accordion and piano in the background, Johnny Venus invites the listener to sit and listen to their neighborhood’s everyday mayhem. Both artists engage ideas such as trapping and struggles with women. Further, they deliver an interesting interlude that consists of a woman ordering chicken wings. All of these themes band together to immerse the listener into Atlanta life. It feels as if we are not listening to an album, but instead, dining with EarthGang at an Atlanta restaurant and actively participating in the madness surrounding us.

The former themes of trapping and women stay consistent through Mirrorland, but the theme of dedication is another important highlight. In the song, “Bank”, Doctur Dot raps “You gon’ have to kill me to stop me ’cause honestly I can keep goin’ forever.” It seems that with their success, EarthGang must work diligently to combat jealousy. The fame they have achieved has insulated them from the Atlanta neighborhood life that they still believe they belong to. In the song, “Avenue,” Johnny Venus raps “I been eating diabetes and Cheetos for dinner…can’t give that up.” The duo can now afford to buy expensive jewelry and eat at 5-star restaurants, but they can’t seem to forget their old life.

The album winds down to a quiet passion as it reaches the end. Concluding songs like “Trippin” (featuring Kehlani) and “Stuck” (featuring Arin Ray) highlight stress and love. Using a slower tempo, both beats allow for the artists to become introspective and speak on issues that hold more individual importance.

Mirrorland is able to mirror our ever-changing emotions to a very impressive degree. For example, the beats shift between afro-punk influences, reminders of the trap sound of Atlanta, soul, and even jazz. Although the themes of love, trapping, social inequality, and dedication hold somewhat constant in the album, the unique selection of beats permits the listener to understand the different takes and emotional states that certain situations can provide. This is exemplified by the ethereal sound of “This Side” and the tumultuous but trappy beat of “UP” in which the artists explore different aspects of fame. Further, the rappers sing for a large portion of the album. Given that they are not classically trained, they provide a distinctive sound that easily transports them between various genres.

Throughout the album, I pondered the rift that fame can incite between musicians and their hometowns. EarthGang questions this as well. We are given detailed imagery about life in the hood, but also shown flashes of money, cars, and jewelry. This uncertainty about their place in the world can be best summed up by a line from their concluding song “Wings.” This limbo state characterizes the whole album. While the concepts explored on Mirrorland are not wholly new for a rap album, the unpredictable sound and alteration of place in society provides an interesting take on the old themes. Johnny Venus and Doctur Dot have put the world on notice with this debut Dreamville album.

Aaron Goldman can be reached at amgoldman@wesleyan.edu.